Winter action - San Diego style

BirdRock

Reaction score
The local winter yellowtail bite has picked up in the last few days with the homeguard fish feasting on squid in La Jolla Canyon. Had only a few hours to get out this morning and made the most of it. 36lbs and 25lbs. Home by 10:00.

Water temp was 56 and once the sun came up it was nice out (mid 60's).

phpqnm2cvpm.jpg

phpxcxxqxpm.jpg

php7ggokdpm.jpg

GO CHARGERS!

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Nice homeguards! Did you get 'em on the iron or squid?

BirdRock

Reaction score
Iron tipped with whole squid. Had 4 lines in the water, all deadsticked about 10 feet off the bottom.

Average Joe

Reaction score
Nice work Bird. Those guys in the kayaks never cease to amaze me. We see them here in VA catching striped bass up to 40 lbs.

They've got more nerve than I do!

BirdRock

Reaction score
Average Joe said:
Nice work Bird. Those guys in the kayaks never cease to amaze me. We see them here in VA catching striped bass up to 40 lbs.

They've got more nerve than I do!

I kayak fished for 3 years prior to owning a boat and still do on some days. The simplicity of kayak fishing is really hard to beat. Some guys rig theirs with electronics, bait tanks, etc. I always prefered the less is more approach to the kayak. Couple of poles and a small box of tackle is all you really need.

It's pretty hardcore on cold winter mornings however. Much more fun in surf trunks and barefeet in the summertime.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
The yellowtail in Florida are a different species. The California yellowtail is related to an amberjack