Winter battery charging on the trailer

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I run an extension and use a 30A twist lock to 110 male adapter. Usually charge weekly for 24hrs. Problem is my main breaker pops most of the time when I plug in the extension. Do I have a defective breaker?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I charged like that all the time with my Sundancer (Sea Ray) and if everything is up to snuff, it SHOULD be just fine. You could have an issue with the breaker (they do get old/tired), or possibly even a cord issue. Could be the extension cord or the adapter.

Some thoughts...

-- Look at the adapter and a extension cord for signs of overheating such as black discolorations at the outlet/prong points.
-- When the breaker pops, do any parts of the cords feel excessively warm?
-- Try using a different extension cord (heavier gauge and/or shorter) before you swap breakers or try a different adapter.

seasick

Reaction score
Tucker said:
I run an extension and use a 30A twist lock to 110 male adapter. Usually charge weekly for 24hrs. Problem is my main breaker pops most of the time when I plug in the extension. Do I have a defective breaker?
If the breaker is tripping due to an overload, the cord should be hot and I mean hot depending on its wire gauge. You didn't mention if the breaker was a ground fault type. If so and the breaker trips immediately, you may have a fault OR a bad GFIC breaker (pretty common).
If the breaker doesn't trip for a period of time,. it may be a load issue and that can mean trouble like fire due to overheating. From an insurance point of view, using a twist lock to regular 15/20 amp adapter cable is a code violation.
Check to see if the breaker trips when you plug in the extension cord but not connect the boat. if so, the cord mat be bad.
From an insurance point of view, using a twist lock to regular 15/20 amp adapter cable is a code violation. They make them end sell them but they are not code compliant.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks Gents. It trips upon connection. I have a 8' extension hanging out from under the cover. I run a 50' extension from my garage and soon as I make connection I can hear the breaker trip. Where is a source for breakers? Thanks

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I trailer exclusively so when it's home between trips I have the batteries hooked up to Battery Tender Jrs.
I just use a 50' heavy extension cord. The battery tenders are inexpensive but work perfect.
You might want to forgo the heavy equipment and go this route.
Keep it simple.
Mike

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm incline to agree. Do you use alligator clips or hard wired pig-tails? Do they make a 3-bank charger?

quote="Lt.Mike"]I trailer exclusively so when it's home between trips I have the batteries hooked up to Battery Tender Jrs.
I just use a 50' heavy extension cord. The battery tenders are inexpensive but work perfect.
You might want to forgo the heavy equipment and go this route.
Keep it simple.
Mike[/quote]

seasick

Reaction score
Tucker said:
Thanks Gents. It trips upon connection. I have a 8' extension hanging out from under the cover. I run a 50' extension from my garage and soon as I make connection I can hear the breaker trip. Where is a source for breakers? Thanks
I thought you were connecting to shore power receptacle but now i think you are connecting the boat's shore power cord to a regular outlet using a converter cable. If that is the case and the breaker that is tripping is in the boat, then one of three things are most likely: The source outlet is wired incorrectly, the breaker in the boat is bad, or the charger is defective. To test, turn off all breakers except the mains in the boat and connect power. If they trip, that are bad or you have a wiring problem. If they don't trip, turn on the breaker for the charger and see what happens. If you are powering shore power, it is possible that something completely unrelated has a problem.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am connecting to the boats' 30A twist lock using a female twist lock to male 110V 15-amp 2-prong w/ground adapter. It's definitely the main breaker. Everything has been off and it still trips on connection. I can climb on the boat and turn it on and it will stay on; it's just the initial energizing that makes it trip. Note, during regular season no problems using 30-amp power cord at the slip. Also, no problems using same adapter with the Honda 2000 generator while out on the hook. Yea, maybe there's a problem with my house wiring. If so this is the only problem I've had with it. The house was built in 1988 so everything is grounded. Wondering if running 15-amps to a 30-amp box may cause the breaker to trip.