Winter canvas storage ideas

Joe arrigo

Reaction score
Winter canvas storage ideasI want to take my canvas is often stores in for the winter thinking about rolling them up and put them in a PVC pipe is that a good idea

seasick

Reaction score
Make sure that the clear vinyl is separated form other vinyl by something like pieces of old bed sheets. The plastic should not touch plastic.
I am not sure if the PVC pipe will out gas vapors and I might be hesitant to use it. I use cardboard tubes like those used for upholstery materials or carpet.
The most important thing is to store in a not too hot or too cold relatively dry room. Hot is really bad on the plastic.
If you are thinking about slipping the rolled up canvas into a pipe, be aware that when rolling, it gets fat in a hurry and you may not find wide enough pipe for it to slip into.

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I built a frame with various options for hanging. The 3 front pieces that have open grommets get hung by them from small nails. The others that only have snaps currently hang over lengths of lumber covered with foam pipe insulation. It works but is a fairly bulky arrangement and I think when I get the canvas redone next year I'll redo the structure as well and add the male part of the snaps to the frames so I can hang everything vertically and fairly closely stacked, almost like file folders. Transporting them back and forth they get rolled up with old sheets or packing blankets between the pieces as Seasick mentions.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If you don't currently have anything under your bed, slide them under there (with cheap sheets cut to size in between).

You could wrap them around the PVC pipe and then put the whole thing in a canvas bag - the pipe helps to keep them from wrinkling.

Another option is a simple and cheap "shelf" suspended from the garage ceiling. You can put the shelf in the area above the door when it's opened up - which is typically unused space.

Reactions: drbatts

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I store mine flat on a table in the basement with sheets in between each panel.

20180408_194401.jpg

Reactions: billk42

Fishtales

Reaction score
I use 4" pvc and roll them if going that route or store flat on a large table.

Pighunter

Reaction score
I built a frame with various options for hanging. The 3 front pieces that have open grommets get hung by them from small nails. The others that only have snaps currently hang over lengths of lumber covered with foam pipe insulation. It works but is a fairly bulky arrangement and I think when I get the canvas redone next year I'll redo the structure as well and add the male part of the snaps to the frames so I can hang everything vertically and fairly closely stacked, almost like file folders. Transporting them back and forth they get rolled up with old sheets or packing blankets between the pieces as Seasick mentions.
I'd like to see a picture of your frame.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
i thought the reason for having curtains was so that you could use your boat in the winter.

Mine are stored between trips in the winter since I trailer everywhere. Don't want them up going down the road or piled up in the cuddy while the boat is stored.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
i thought the reason for having curtains was so that you could use your boat in the winter.
Not everybody lives in an area where winter boating is easy. Using curtains in very cold temps is bad for them as they can crack and break.

E47-BD679-53-BE-48-D1-9409-8-FC417-FFA2-A2.jpg

Reactions: Pighunter

Carlo2888

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Have you checked into these ?

They provide protection and roll up to take less space in storage inside.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Have you checked into these ?

They provide protection and roll up to take less space in storage inside.
I saw those a while back. Nice, but pricey. $100+ and the bag only holds 3 pieces.

When I rolled the canvas for onboard storage (when not using it) with my Sea Ray (had full camper canvas... basically, the entire cockpit was covered and usable), I used the canvas bag that came with the set (you could sew a simple bag for $20) and rolled them around a 4" PVC pipe with sheets in between.