winter prep: full tank of gas or just above empty?

Barrettkatz

Reaction score
Winter approaching in the Northeast.
As I plan for winter storage, am I better off keeping the fuel tank topped up and filled, or best to keep it near empty - given discussions I have seen here about "older" fuel issues, and then again, water in fuel tank.
Thx in advance.
B

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I was going to wait on this one but have time to go first;

On Long Island, I don't consider humidity a problem until the spring, especalliy since I'm not done until end of Oct using fuel. And back in the water by late May or so when humidity does pick up there on.
More humidity = more condensate can form day to night as air moves in and out of fuel tank naturally.
Presuming the gas O ring cap seal is renenewed periodically and no water coming in. Condensate forms on the inner walls of the metal gas tanks particularly and the fuel's temp itself effecting the tank temp.

So for me, it's treated fuel with Marine Stabil regular dose is good for 6 months I believe, up to a year with higher percentage. All fuel going into boat gets Stabil, I add Ring Free for another reason.

A full (not topped of) tank is safer to be around since less gaseous space inside tank (fumes or vapor ignites not liquid fuel, and gas flashes at room temp unlike diesel).

This last year was first time I didn't fuel up, had no issues.

Others fuel up to hedge a risk against rising fuel prices come spring, as I had lost out this year spring big time since much higher price than fuel in fall. How ironic since always fueled up in fall.
I buy fuel at local gas station via portable tanks. No extra runs just do it same time as car is fueled, usually don't do it until later Nov/Dec.

Marinas may call for fueling up due to safety concern of vapors in not full tank.

So for me, if I think gas will rocket up come spring may do it in fall.
Either way works for me.
As far as going empty, you have to suck out all the fuel via level sensor port as the fuel remaining will still be plenty via normal pickups. If you suck out this fuel, you will not see water but the phase separated mixture that in my experience is darker than new fuel which is a lighter golden color, not darker.
It's all I look for in clear separator bowl, abnormally looking fuel color of any color or clarity. Found no corrosion in HPDI VST tanks, so far.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have winterized with a half full tanks - never had an issue - I would not want to do an empty tank because of condensation issues - I always use an appropriate amount of stabilizer for each tank - I see full tanks as money in the bank. Each spring somehow gas magically skyrockets in time for the first fill.

lgusto

Reaction score
Previous years always stored full, never had a problem.

Last year stored nearly empty, lots of problems, changed a lot of filters in the spring.

Going back to storing full.

Fishshoreman

Reaction score
I have stored both ways. Full and less than full. Never a problem. Always use Startron, nothing else for fuel (valvtec for carbon). I do prefer a full tank over less for the same reasons others have mentioned- fuel prices. Good luck.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
With e-10 having a shelf life I leave 1/2 tank or less. I burn up all the fuel I can and add 25 gals of fresh fuel and stabalize. Only way the amount of water that will affect engine will get in is if something is left open for water intrusion. Bad cap seal , tanks seal, ext. No way will weather patterns allow anything less that a few drops to accumualte from condensations in the fuel systems over the winter storage. Come spring just fill the tank with fresh e10 and it will absorb any water it may have taken in. To be safe change your filter as well.

Fishshoreman

Reaction score
I will add this to the conversation: Although I haven't had any problems leaving the tank less than full I see some replys about condensation and winter temps. I can tell you I have been under my cover in the winter with outside temps at 38-45 degrees, sometimes less but with the sun shining down. It gets down right hot under there. I have worked on the boat without a jacket on in the dead of winter and had sweat pouring down my face. If I am sweating so is the tank. Just my two cents!

Fishtales

Reaction score
I've done it both ways without an issue. My perference is half full or less. Treat it and then fill in the spring.