Winter storage

PT G

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Voyager
First Winter with the boat home on the trailer. It is parked in the backyard so do I leave the trailer sitting on the grass or would it be better to slip 12" square patio blocks under each tire. Or should I block the trailer and bring the tires inside?

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Best way to do it is to block the trailer. That being said, I never do and haven't had a problem. I also don't trailer a lot so I'm not as concerned with the tires.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
If on gravel nothing needed. If on grass I would recommend getting blocks or boards under tires. More to support and distribute the load to keep them from sinking in the mud. Make sure you pull the drain plug and raise the front end up to get water to drain. Most boats “sink” in the driveway anymore.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You're overthinking this :) Although I understand where you're coming from.

Think of it this way... what do boat owner's of trailer boats do (boats that get trailered all the time)? Yup, they leave them as is year round.

The only thing I'd add is what Hook mentioned to do something to avoid making a big rut in your yard if the ground is soft enough (or gets soft enough in the Spring).

Reactions: PT G

seasick

Reaction score
Some folks like me, store boats on trailers but also put boat stands under the stern and add a keel stand or block the keel.
Many folks do that and remove the trailer tires but I suspect that is done to discourage theft.