Winterization and moisture

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
First year that I'll be shrink wrapping a boat, and am wondering about how much moisture absorbing products I might need for a 330 express?

The yard will shrink wrap down to the chines, and will be adding vent holes in the shrink wrap. My understanding is to leave the cabin doors open for the winter. Any idea on how much moisture absorbing product I might need? Boat will be kept in SE Mass, near the water.

Bob275

Reaction score
I don't have a boat that big but when mine was wrapped last season they took care of it for me. The yard added the moisture bags in the cabin. I didn't do anything but pay. I only have a 208 but the door was left closed.

seasick

Reaction score
You may want to look at vents on the shrink wrap. They are cheap.
There are also solar vents that are not super expensive. The trick is to keep the air flowing.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I put (2) of the large damp rid buckets in the cabin. My marina installs two of these (https://www.marinegeneral.com/product/star-brite-mildew-odor-control-bags/)in the cabin along with 2 6" round air fresheners. I recommend you take all the cushions, pillows and all the fabric stuff you can out. I leave the curtains up. If you do this vents are not needed. BTW when they shrink wrap over the motors make sure they use a adhesive pad on the cowlings to prevent chafing. If they install the shrinkwrap over the cowlings and run rope (melt shrink wrap over the rope) all around the rub rail you will have three vents (one between the motors and one to each side of the motor. You can have a skinny guy slip under and get into the boat if needed when wrapped.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Here is one. I suggest you shrink wrap with the engines down when storing for the winter. I think this was done this way as it is going to be trailered.
https://texas-mobile-shrink-wrap.business.site/posts/7126947152635196090?hl=en
This one is wrapped low on the motors due to trimmed up. Mine usually comes down to the rubber exhaust area on the rear of the motor (below the cowling). Like I said plenty or area for air flow.

In spring don't forget the Zep mold and mildew remover. It will get any mold off quickly. I spray the bilge and other below deck and cabin spots and wash it our the garboard plug before splashing. Looks new.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Open all deck plates outside and inside, including all compartment lids in the cabin. The idea is to get as much airflow into the bilge and other confined areas of the boat as you can, it also allows you to inspect areas that you normally don't see. In both sinks I will put a moisture absorber container as well as additional ones in both the galley area and the head. I will then use a couple of the round air fresheners and place them around the cabin. Its also a good idea to get as much "stuff" as you can out of the boat for the winter. I keep the bow hatch and cabin doors closed. My boat is kept in CT from Dec to April.