Winterization of my 2002 GW Marlin

Lil Lucky

Reaction score
Over the years I've just let the marina do why they had to do in order to winterize the boat. After careful review, I feel like I've been nickeled and dimed and charged in some cases 50% markups on materials used. This year, I'm looking to do some things myself. For starters, I'm going to buy the materials. The base cost on the material is great online, but the shipping prices are murderous. I feel like these marinas have a cornering of the market and force consumers to buy through them. I'm in the NY. Does anyone have any recommendations?

dgreen1069

Reaction score
I was just getting ready to ask for recommendations on winterizing my 2000 Marlin when I saw your post. I have an RV, and am well versed at winterizing it.....I'm sure the boat is very similar, with the outboards being the only real difference.

Is there any easy way to introduce RV antifreeze into the water system, or am I stuck adding gallons of the stuff to my water tank? On my RV, I added a 3-way valve in front of the water pump so I can pump antifreeze directly from the bottle. My RV is plumbed with a water heater bypass, and I'm wondering if my Marlin might also. My manual shows the water heater somewhere under the port cockpit chair, but I am not exactly sure where it is.

Can someone tell me how to access the water heater. Does the water heater have a drain plug? Does the water heater have a bypass?
What is required for winterizing my OX66 outboards? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Its easy to winterize your Marlin. I have been winterizing my boats for years. I had a 1996 272 and now a 1997 Marlin since 2002 with the F225's. West Marine will have everything you need. Pick up 4 gallons of antifreeze for the water, can of fogging oil, quart of lower unit oil for each motor( I use the synthetic), stablizer for the fuel. Run the fresh water tank until its empty. I bypass the hot water heater, some guys dont. Not sure where yours is located but mine is in the aft cabin port side behind the wall. Just take the hot water hose and cold off and connect together so no water runs into the heater, drain the heater with the fitting thats attached to the side of the heater, it will drain into the bilge, the heater is done. Add 3 gallons of antifreeze to the water tank, prime the system and turn on all drains one at a time until it runs pink, cold and hot run them seperately, dont forget the windshield washer, your done. Pump the head dry and add 1 gallon of antifreeze to the bowl and hit the macerator for a few seconds, heads done. Follow the directions on the fogging oil can, pretty simple to fog the engines, dont forget to buy a pair of rabbit ears for the fresh water. Dont run the engines too long on the hose with the ears, only long enough to warm the engines and fog them. Add stabilzer in the fuel tank before winterizing so you get the stablizer through all the fuel lines. Change the lower unit oil, buy the pump West Marine sells, its cheap, make sure it comes with the correct fitting for your lower unit, normally does though. Run all your pumps until dry, livewell, bilge, etc. I also change the water seperators at this time, some guys wait until the spring. I store the boat empty of fuel, always have and never had a fuel problem! I also have a Yamaha 2 stroke on my little boat and do the exact same thing with that engine. Spray down the engine with a good quality CRC or something similar, grease all fittings. Thats it your done. I live in NY and have been doing this for over 12 years now and never had an issue. Spring time fire them up and change or clean the plugs and add some fuel. By the way I am not that handy or mechanical.

dgreen1069

Reaction score
Great write up! Thank for for taking the time to walk us through the winterization procedure. It looks like it will be a piece of cake!

Slacktime

Reaction score
If your boat has AC, don't forget to empty the strainer by the little petcock screw and disconnect the hose line from the pump. Beg borrow or steal a small air compressor and blow out the water in the line via the disconnected hose. Open all seacocks and leave open until spring.

reelserious

Reaction score
I resurrected this post from a few years back. It was, I thought, a good write-up on how to winterize your Grady. It is, unfortunately, that time of year for us up north. The one thing I would add to the list is the shower sump. Other than that, a pretty comprehensive summary. As stated by the OP, the marinas charge big bucks to do what is a pretty simple and low cost job.