Winterizing Detail for the 2005 F250

moccq

Reaction score
Trying to better understand my 1st time winterization process and details for a 2005 F250. Reading various posts , forums and the F250 manual and still need clarifications on general terms everyone uses and the whole process especially the steps for fogging (engine is running or just being turned over w/o the lanyand conected and where excactly to spray the fog oil ), can you flush from the hose port or must you use the ear muff technique etc..

Does anyone have a good step by step winterizing process with additional details to help with sterps , fogging procedure and flushing, for example the F250 Yahama manual talks about spraying into the intake silencer or fogging hole of the intake silencer ( an F250 service manual is not very clear on identifying these)..

Thanks in advance..

moccq

Reaction score
Had a chance to meet one of the F250 certified machanics at my local GW dealer, their approach for the F250 is to pull the spark plugs and spray f-oil directly into the cylinders then cycle a few times with the lanyard removed. They then replace with new plugs to finish off this step. They did not recommend running the engine and spraying into an intake or silencing ports etc..

moccq

Reaction score
Followup - does anyone have a procedure for closing out the live-well and its associated plumbing ?

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you just run the pump to clear most of the water out of the intake hose and pump, you should be fine. Some people try to introduce nontoxic RV antifreeze into the system, but that can be difficult.

Don't forget to drain the VST on your F250. Leaving it full of fuel, especially E10, is asking for problems.

moccq

Reaction score
re the VST, how do you drain the VST..it seems tucked behind the starboard intake manifold..eg is it a tube drain or some sort of push valve or port ?

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The VST is behind the manifold on the port side.

There is a piece of clear pink plastic drain tubing coming from the bottom of the VST. Just above it, there is a Phillips head screw, which is the drain screw. You loosen that and let it drain for 30 minutes.

I have never drained the VST on my F250, since I run the boat year round. But on my F150, there was a rubber plug near the middle of the VST that covered a relief vent. You removed the plug and pressed a pin with a screwdriver. That let air enter and speeded up the drain process. The F250 should have the same setup.

Yamaha recommends draining the VST if you don't use the engine for over 3 months even if you use fuel stabilizer. The reason is to prevent corrosion of the soft aluminum parts by stale E10 fuel.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
"I have never drained the VST on my F250, since I run the boat year round. But on my F150, there was a rubber plug near the middle of the VST that covered a relief vent. You removed the plug and pressed a pin with a screwdriver. That let air enter and speeded up the drain process. The F250 should have the same setup.

Yes, the F 250 DOES have that same valve (like a tire pressure valve-Schraeder?) and as Doc says you MUST depress it to let the gas completely flow out of the VST.

moccq

Reaction score
ok, good info..appreciate the replies, need a few days to teply and get back to the post help..

Also wanted to make an effort to thank everyone who shares their expertise and information..