Winterizing Question '99 Sailfish

johnnyboy

Reaction score
Hey guys hope your enjoying the last few weeks of the season. Question: I drained out my fresh water tank by opening all the fixtures on the boat and letting it drain. I then added 3 gallons of rv winterize to the water tank. I went to run the water pressure and got nothing coming out. Anyone have an idea what mistake I made or am making? Also, for the salt water thru hull fittings like the livewell and saltwater wash down, does anyone do anything special to those? Also as per the head, any suggestions.

I appreciate all thoughts and comments!

CKJR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
What i do with mine is remove the back panel under the back bunk to access the pressure pump, i then disconnect the inlet fitting and connect my home made connector and place into a gallon of antifreeze. then when i turn the pump on i know that the antifreeze is going through. i use about 3 gallons this way. make sure you run the hot water to get enough into the 6 gallon hot water heater. with the wash dowm pump, i open the fittings when boat is out of water to drain and then run the pumps dry. never had a problem.

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
Going to respectfully disagree on the S/W system. If there are any low spots it can be a nightmare. For all the S/W systems I would recommend using one of two methods:

1. Buy a "Plunger" connector (West marine) and have a friend help you. You hook up a 5 gallon pail with non-tox to the plunger, hold it against the S/W intake and run the pump. It helps if you run a longer hose from the non-tox tank to the plunger so you can put the tank up high and let gravity help you.

2. Disconnect the intake hose for the salt water pump(s) and make a homemade connector as described above. Be sure to leave the seacock closed when pushing the non-tox through and open it when you're done.

As for the head - Put a gallon of non-tox in (After you pump out all of the waste). If it is a S/W head you need to winterize that system as well. If it is fresh water run the flusher until the non-tox from the tank comes out in the toilet and then pump the head tank out. Then add a half gallon of non-ton. Also, if you have an overboard discharge pump and/or macerator don't forget to run non-tox through that after you add straight non-tox to your holding tank.

Don't forget your windshield washers if you have them. Also, if you have A/C you have to winterize that as well.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
What I do is run all the lines so no more water comes out. I then add about 6 gal of non toxic pink stuff to freshwater tank open each line until solid pink runs out. Also make sure hot water tank is drained also and don't forget the windshield washer. Once done I turn off water pump and open all valves. Then I pour antifreeze into toilet and also shower drain until it emptys overboard. Then I pour a little in bilge and fish boxes. Never had a problem in 12 years. Also - for anyone who shrink-wraps, I purchased a really nice cover from boat covers direct a end of last season (maybe $800) and it was money well spent. Before putting boat away, I remove everything, wipe down interior (using a little of that spray mold remover) and clean exterior and cover (after winterizing engines) and she's good to go in Spring. Keep engines down to prevent water pooling.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Fishing Sunday and pulling boat next week. First time winterizing. PO said he had to remove washdown pump every winter or it would freeze and break. About the toilet plunger device. Sounds like a 2-person job and a real mess. What about removing the intake from the pump by the screw on fitting, install a short piece of hose, hold it high and fill with antifreeze?

LeapFrog

Reaction score
I cut and installed a bronze "T" in all of my saltwater lines near the pickups before the pumps. To winterize, I shut off the pickup, unscrew the cap and screw in the hose from my winterizer tank (had one from my I/O on a previous boat) that's filled with the pink stuff. Just run the pump until it comes out pink and you are good to go! I will run fresh water from a hose through the system first on the generator and A/C while the systems warm up and to flush them of the old salt and then open/close the valves on the winterizing tank to send the pink stuff through...
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...toreNum=50218&subdeptNum=50293&classNum=50297

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
The plunger is really pretty easy but you do need two people. I left two options in case you want to do it the other way. Just make sure to open up the seacock when you are done. For the AC you can also go through the sea strainer if it is easier.