winterizing yamaha 200HPDI's

fastal

Reaction score
just curious if any of the diy's out there have a check list they are willing to share for winterizing yamaha 200hp hpdi's. I have been doing my own winterization of these motors for the past few years without issue but I am just curious how my list compares to others...thanks

paulyjsob

Reaction score
It should be the same as any other outboard. This is what I do to my 2005 200HP Yamaha OX66:
1) I place fuel stabilizer in my tank before the last trip out to make sure the fuel inside the engine (in the pumps, filters and VST tank) is stablilized. I then top off the tank with 93+ octane fuel.
2) One the trailer, I run the outboard in gear for a few minutes. This will heat up the lower unit oil so it drains better. Shut off engine, drain old oil and refill with new oil.
3) Remove silencer/intake cover on front of motor. Start engine and spray fogging oil into each intake. I do this for a little while. When it starts smoking a lot I stop and shut off motor.
4) Remove spark plugs and squirt a little more fogging oil into each cylinder. Screw old spark plugs back in.
5) Unscrew the flush port and lower engine all the way to make sure no water is left in the engine.

In the spring, I typically burn through about half the tank before adding fresh gas. After adding fresh gas I also change the plugs.

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
In addition to the above I also drain the VST tank by loosening the petcock screw at the bottom, ( a paper bowl works well to catch the flow) drain the fuel filter cup (translucent one) and spray the exterior of the block and electrical connectors with corrosion guard. Also after fogging into the plug holes I rotate the crank pulley a couple of turns to distribute the oil inside the cylinder. On a side note, after running out of the OMC foging oil, (from a nearby dealer) I went to Advanced Auto and used the Seafoam brand. It has an extra long straw to reach that lower left plug hole) This should also loosen any deposits inside the combustion chamber while at rest for the season.