Wiper Blades

ElMar

Reaction score
Where is the best place for replacement blades for 268 Islander?

286722D3-16D6-4072-BF51-D340B11E3B51.jpeg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Most likely ANY new boat dealer or decent marine supply shop. All that matters is that it fits the post. Pop the old one off and take it with you.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I see, very helpful......:rolleyes:
Really? Wow. I'm sorry I didn't do all the legwork for you. I gave you the information to get it done. I bet you were someone that complained when the kid sitting next to you in class didn't let you cheat off his paper. But, I guess that's the way the world is going now - people expect others to do the work for them.

ElMar

Reaction score
Really? Wow. I'm sorry I didn't do all the legwork for you. I gave you the information to get it done. I bet you were someone that complained when the kid sitting next to you in class didn't let you cheat off his paper. But, I guess that's the way the world is going now - people expect others to do the work for them.

Everything you said could be done without the use of the forum, thats the beauty of the internet. I was looking for a Part# or someone else that already went through this and had a real solution to avoid chasing parts around.

If I needed to be lead like a first grader, I wouldn't bother wasting peoples time.

I guess I'll just stop by my local new boat dealer or decent marine supply shop on the way home from work....

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I WAS giving you first hand experience. Yes, it 'could' be done without the internet, but it certainly wasn't clear from your post that you knew what to do - we can only base our responses on what you write. That was the exact thing that I did when I replaced mine on a Sea Ray I used to have - changed the arm.

I think, the other thing I've heard, is something about a Ford "L" truck blade? That's likely what the NAPA thing will get you. Don't quote me on that Ford L thing, though... it's been a while.

seasick

Reaction score
Most likely ANY new boat dealer or decent marine supply shop. All that matters is that it fits the post. Pop the old one off and take it with you.

One downside to that approach is in my experience that the replacement blades may not be stainless and can corrode in salt water environment.
A second factor might be the need to adjust (rotate) the arm to blade connection to get the sweep coverage optimal. Those arms have an extra joint with a screw to change the angle.
My advice is to get the truck style arms and blades.

Reactions: DoctorOctopus

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
One downside to that approach is in my experience that the replacement blades may not be stainless and can corrode in salt water environment.
A second factor might be the need to adjust (rotate) the arm to blade connection to get the sweep coverage optimal. Those arms have an extra joint with a screw to change the angle.
My advice is to get the truck style arms and blades.
I've actually been through this many times (working in the industry). The arm simply pops off, and the new one pops back on. There's s little 'release catch' on the underside (no screw). Other than if the existing arm is corroded, it's literally a 2 minute swap. All of the replacement arms I've dealt with have been SS. The 'J-Hook' part is adjustable for angle, if needed (just like the old ones), as well.

In fact, just sold one last night to a gentleman - it was on an older Sea Ray that had the same arm as the OP's and he wanted something with the J-Hook. This was on a Sea Ray, but Sea Ray, Grady, etc... doesn't matter. Neither of those companies makes the motor or the arm.

Trust me, this is easier than most think! :)

Reactions: ElMar

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I bought the whole new arm for a Gulfstream at WM a couple years ago for about 80.00. It was an absolute piece of crap and never worked as well as the original on the other side.
I'm looking for a refill for my 98 Marlin. This one is bolted on. Not a "pop-off"

ElMar

Reaction score
Just to update this thread this is a direct replacement for what is there.

The frames are black, not stainless but the rubber blade sides are stainless and will swap into the original frame. Never saw them rust on a truck so going with them for this season.

A 5/16 and 6mm deep socket get the job done.

512AED15-C190-4660-A705-5CCE5F077E9E.jpeg

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
Try metal polish on the arms. You may find all you need are the inserts.

ElMar

Reaction score
Not worried about the polish, would love to find the inserts, got a part number?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
ElMar,,,,this might help you.

These are my 16" refills I bought when I purchased new blades for my 228. Your's look to be 18" Google the part number but use 18 instead of my 16. These refills are on the stainless strip with a clip at the end.

20190616_112846.jpg20190616_112905.jpg20190616_113010.jpg

Reactions: ElMar

Fishtales

Reaction score
The Napa number previously should do it.

ElMar

Reaction score
NAPA 60-1870 is no longer current.
The new part # is 6-1865.
But, both of those give you then entire blade in black.

KY Grady. That looks like a winner, have to check it out. Thanks!

This is what the black ones look like.

A3CEF4C3-C3A8-4C17-9BDE-0D9A90DC5D1A.jpeg836E7794-6C90-49C5-AB2C-2D1F645E47EB.jpeg

Last edited:

Capnjim7

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Everything you said could be done without the use of the forum, thats the beauty of the internet. I was looking for a Part# or someone else that already went through this and had a real solution to avoid chasing parts around.

If I needed to be lead like a first grader, I wouldn't bother wasting peoples time.

I guess I'll just stop by my local new boat dealer or decent marine supply shop on the way home from work....
"Led not lead...like a first grader"

Reactions: Zebulon