Wipers vs no wipers

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
As I slowly clean up and make modifications to my 232, curious how many use their wipers while in the ocean. I have been a boater for over forty years on Lake Champlain and never had a need to use wipers - rain or shine. Will be retiring to the ocean at some point with the 232, and wondering if I remove the wipers and everything related - motor, switches, wiring. Note one works fine the other sounds like needs replacement motor.

Curious on everyone's opinion.

jap201

Reaction score
Even on a "dry" boat I've had to use wipers. Depends on sea and wind, directions and your speed and direction. Not to mention i've needed them in the rain.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Many models have a useless wiper because there is a bubble helm and you never look thru the glass anyways. I removed the broken wiper from my 265 and filled the hole. I have to look over the windshield and thru the clear plastic anyways. I heightened my seat to look over the windsheild. Honestly, I could paint my glass black and it would not effect my vision.

So the question to you is...Do YOU look thru the windsheild or over it?

On my "to do list" is a project to setup the washer spray to aim at the clear plastic to rinse the salt spray.

Reactions: A&J Outdoors

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
I use my wiper often...

I look through the windscreen.

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Many models have a useless wiper because there is a bubble helm and you never look thru the glass anyways. I removed the broken wiper from my 265 and filled the hole. I have to look over the windshield and thru the clear plastic anyways. I heightened my seat to look over the windsheild. Honestly, I could paint my glass black and it would not effect my vision.

So the question to you is...Do YOU look thru the windsheild or over it?

On my "to do list" is a project to setup the washer spray to aim at the clear plastic to rinse the salt spray.
In all my years I have hardly ever sat at the console but rather stand next to for better overall vision. Similar to others if I sit, I am looking over the top of the glass. I do once in a while get spray and wasn’t sure if the ocean might be different.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
In all my years I have hardly ever sat at the console but rather stand next to for better overall vision. Similar to others if I sit, I am looking over the top of the glass. I do once in a while get spray and wasn’t sure if the ocean might be different.
For me the problem is when the salt spray dries on the clear plastic. its the "one little spritz" that screws me. I have run 40 miles into crap...the relentless spray runs down and I can see. o_O

Here's my view.

boat_16.jpeg

Reactions: Pfu

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
On my Seafarer, I use my wiper when ever it’s raining or windy, I really would like 2 wipers so my co-pilot can look for logs as well. I always look through the windshield while sitting down , I only stand when docking to expand my view.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Eliminated my front windows, wipers and rust bucket horn. Much better!
front.jpeg

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm admittedly a bit more of a fair-weather fisherman but I hardly ever use my wiper, especially since I just have the one on the driver's side and don't have the one on the passenger side. About the only thing that I use it for is to get the dew off the windshield in the mornings when I go out and go fishing, though it doesn't do a very good job of that.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
For me the problem is when the salt spray dries on the clear plastic. its the "one little spritz" that screws me. I have run 40 miles into crap...the relentless spray runs down and I can see. o_O
I was just about to say the same thing. That light spritz is the worst! I wish had windshield "washers". Thinking about that... I guess it wouldn't really be all that hard to add them - but I bet the salt would clog them up. Maybe I could fill the washer tank with Salt Away :)

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You could always try a product like either of the two below...

Reactions: SkunkBoat

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Someone has to climb out in the morning in the dark to wipe down on Nasty Habit. Not my job - I run the cockpit - but it doesn't seem that bad. On my Grady it's fair weather daytime and only a little dew.

No wipers on Nasty Habit none on Evil Princess.

IMG_0337.png

Last edited:
Reactions: SkunkBoat

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
My boat has a high windshield so I use the wipers quite a bit for spray. There are a number of guys at my dock who have removed their wipers and now apply rainx a couple times a season. All of them seem happy with this solution.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I use mine primarily for salt spray. Nothing more annoying than trying to see though salty glass. I would not remove them.

deepwaterdreamer111

Reaction score
Ran into the same issue on my 25 sailfish. Removed the wipers. I keep windows clean and apply fleetwax several times during the season.Water beads up and visabilty is still good. Also clean eisenglass with Bo shield 210 and apply fleet wax. I think it works well.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
No wiper, lotsa RainX
I would add caution to the Rain X application. the hydrophobic nature of it causes water to bead a lot as you know. Navigating at night with the windshield beaded up especially in harbors and at low speeds and such refracts the light and makes night vision
difficult especially if you don't use wipers .

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I spent some time looking through glass while on the salt water. If you have saltwater hitting the glass and the wipers on, then you need to keep the glass flushed regularly with freshwater or the rubber wiper will turn the salt crystals into tiny grindsones and it will scuff the fine finish of the glass. As the saltwater dries (evaporates) and leaves behind the salt it's imperitive that freshwater is sprayed on to keep the salt from building. I spent about 20 years dredging in the Pacific Northwest and Alaska. We worked in all weather so at times my windows were subjected to salt spray but not as regularly as the tug boat windows.
Keeping the freshwater sprayers working is troublesome. I used RainX unless I had mud splatter. Then I had guys on deck with water blasters like kids play with sucking water out of 5 gallon buckets and shooting up onto my window if I was on a rig where I wasn't too elevated.
This is one of the rigs I ran. Just for size perspective, the hoist wires are 2 1/4 in and the spuds are 4 feet in diameter. The tires on the side of the barge are from 988 Cat loaders. The main fuel tank held 42,000 gallons.
IMG957462.jpg

seasick

Reaction score
I would add caution to the Rain X application. the hydrophobic nature of it causes water to bead a lot as you know. Navigating at night with the windshield beaded up especially in harbors and at low speeds and such refracts the light and makes night vision
difficult especially if you don't use wipers .
Another concern wih RainX is to make sure it doesn't get on your isinglass. Strataglass states that using it on their product will void the warranty.