wireless autotether setup for twin outboards

lime4x4

Reaction score
Would like to get a wireless autotether for twin yamaha outboards any recomendations?

Finest Kind

Reaction score
I second that! I have been using it for years when running solo.
Customer support is great btw, I had an issue (after several years use) with the FOB not working properly and they repaired it no cost.

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I too use the AutoTether and an inflatable life jacket (with a SPOT personal locator) when I am running the boat alone.

dstarok

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Same with the inflatable life jacket, wear it pretty much all the time when I'm out at night alone. I don't have a spot, your post got me thinking I should buy a plb. I'll start looking for one now. Anyone recommend a particular one? I do have an EPIRB already, but wouldn't be much good on the boat if I was in the water.

lime4x4

Reaction score
Getting the auto inflate life jackets. Picked up a acr-3508 plb. The autotether is the final peice of the puzzle

fellinger

Reaction score
I like the idea. I run a 272 Sailfish with twin 200 Johnson's. It doesn't have a tether system. Does anyone know how difficult it would be to put one in?

Finest Kind

Reaction score
fellinger said:
I like the idea. I run a 272 Sailfish with twin 200 Johnson's. It doesn't have a tether system. Does anyone know how difficult it would be to put one in?

Nothing to it...just unsnap the red wire that goes to your kill switch on your dashboard, snap on the Autotether unit and turn it on....

fellinger

Reaction score
Finest Kind said:
fellinger said:

Nothing to it...just unsnap the red wire that goes to your kill switch on your dashboard, snap on the Autotether unit and turn it on....

Therein lies my problem. My boat was manufactured without kill switches. Does anyone know how difficult it is to install them?

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
fellinger said:
Therein lies my problem. My boat was manufactured without kill switches. Does anyone know how difficult it is to install them?

What type of motor do you have? The kill switch is usually integrated with the ignition key. Some manufacturers, e.g. Johnson, have ignitions that will work without the kill switch lanyard attached... If you have one of those, you may not realize you already have the kill switch functionality available...

Joe

fellinger

Reaction score
everwhom said:
fellinger said:

What type of motor do you have? The kill switch is usually integrated with the ignition key. Some manufacturers, e.g. Johnson, have ignitions that will work without the kill switch lanyard attached... If you have one of those, you may not realize you already have the kill switch functionality available...

Joe

Interesting. I have 95 Johnsons. There does not seem to be a notch on the switch to where a lanyard would attach.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you do have a kill switch! (I have a Johnson / Evinrude on my runabout)

This may be hard to describe, but the cylinder right where you put the key in probably sticks out about 1/2 an inch. The kill switch lanyard clips over this cylinder and pushes it in. When the lanyard is pulled (either manually because it's attached to you or because a device like the autotether pulls it), the cylinder pops out and kills the motor. The Johnson can then be restarted WITHOUT the laynard clip so someone can go rescue the person who fell out (which is why it works for you now).

Here's a picture of the both the keyswitch and the lanyard: https://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Evinrude ... B001L0YBQW

Note that if you get an Autotether you have to get the appropriate kill switch attachment for your motor. You can contact them directly if the unit you purchase doesn't have the right one -- as I recall they will just send you what you need for free plus a little tool for switching the attachment.

fellinger

Reaction score
everwhom said:
I'm pretty sure you do have a kill switch! (I have a Johnson / Evinrude on my runabout)

This may be hard to describe, but the cylinder right where you put the key in probably sticks out about 1/2 an inch. The kill switch lanyard clips over this cylinder and pushes it in. When the lanyard is pulled (either manually because it's attached to you or because a device like the autotether pulls it), the cylinder pops out and kills the motor. The Johnson can then be restarted WITHOUT the laynard clip so someone can go rescue the person who fell out (which is why it works for you now).

Here's a picture of the both the keyswitch and the lanyard: https://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Evinrude ... B001L0YBQW

Note that if you get an Autotether you have to get the appropriate kill switch attachment for your motor. You can contact them directly if the unit you purchase doesn't have the right one -- as I recall they will just send you what you need for free plus a little tool for switching the attachment.

Interesting. Thanks for the information I will research it the next time I am at the boat.

lime4x4

Reaction score
I contacted them and they said i have to wire both engines into a single kill switch. They said it was an easy job for a marinia to do. I'm hoping to do this myself. Need to find a wiring diaghgram and switch

Finest Kind

Reaction score
lime4x4 said:
I contacted them and they said i have to wire both engines into a single kill switch. They said it was an easy job for a marinia to do. I'm hoping to do this myself. Need to find a wiring diaghgram and switch

You have TWO coiled red lanyards coming off your dash next to the key start switches?

lime4x4

Reaction score
yes each engine has it's own kill switch,key and choke.

VTMaoa84h85MXuthtWMV1L3PGdawed8WJfqtw_lqcOgCu81IjjfDJTyp8yEzRKAxf_sqYwTvRIMXZvpqdSD3opN40FL8bVT35zG5yGeRkfn1JwZ1B4sGP2iR5Bx-xc9z_XuDcT4PV-sk083ScgfAUY2Ixcs3LcZ3_GlSWB3aVA7yU0LYsEFFolHbUmqrXdrPI7sEi3E0XYdPSyMlzd7U7AuIu7Iu6ly5OzxkGyFq8OC2OcXIQAuaWKdlLOnq50juCXdK2W0jUeK_dBqmWP1kK2eTuOu5V3Df_2KibyNG8inMsSOYOtWMTABaqZPOGi1K4xWhh5KCn96su3EkgNvI2IgDLHzPunrImQj5xcsSb5iIADYn1SXb-b6SawXqKkrP76WnhI93Dfy5q7enbeiqybitBsHKox8nNMWUia0GkxyUbIHTfJDSyD5CAWZMKyQCwjuaj9tpwDx1QmyF7kvtYGlAsFGYf482foFqEbwRRL_kSBipKI02weLH4g4Mq5OnppQqwEBpOzAwvyFrWqeUUKp_SeowjWrT4hNco3NOM_j_289uGWYnG57vbqVz18iHSp_6c5x-j6zibfF7AiCLcq84vegQwCE=w547-h971-no