Wireless MOB Kill Switches

Punchline Cap

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
With the new regulation that took effect on 4/1/21 about the mandatory wearing of kill switch lanyards on boats under 26 feet, I was wondering if anyone has installed a wireless kill switch on their boat? I have seen the ones with the wearable bracelets. Are there any other styles? Has anyone had them installed by a boat yard? How much was the labor for the install? Any opinions?

bartoma

Reaction score
I have the unit from Fell Marine... Essential kit for safety - works extremely well...

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i've been using Autotether for about a decade or so. fairly simple. good luck, ron

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I had the Fell on an 1801 Parker. Simple to use, easy install. Never tested in real world scenario, but I was a little uncomfortable with how far I could walk down the street, before it shut off.

bartoma

Reaction score
I had the Fell on an 1801 Parker. Simple to use, easy install. Never tested in real world scenario, but I was a little uncomfortable with how far I could walk down the street, before it shut off.
Distance in free space (air) is far greater than distance once you (and the fob) go in the drink... Once it's submerged more than a couple inches, the base station will loose contact and the engine(s) will stop...

bartoma

Reaction score
That's the principle I was relying on. What should happen if I stick the fob down in a 5 gallon bucket of water, 20 feet from the receiver?
In free space, power decreases by a factor of distance squared... In a five gallon bucket, you have maybe six inches of water, which would definitely attenuate the signal, but the remaining ~20 feet is still free space... You fall in the water, your fob is likely well below the surface, and at the slant angle between you and the base station antenna, there's a lot of water and boat to make that fob disappear very quickly... I have attached mine to a dock hook, and as soon as I dunk it in the water over the side, the engines stop...