Wiring harness connector to GPS

Mjdap

Reaction score
I noticed for the first time, the green residue of corrosion on the pin conncetor to my GPS unit. The corrosion in on the female connector.

So, since these connector slots are so small, what is the most effective way to remove the corrosion.

the current result of this corrosion is no power to the GPS unit.

richie rich

Reaction score
I use a product called corrosion block.......spray it in and it foams up on your parts.....if its heavy corrosion you may need to scrape a little.....then use Lubrimatic contact grease in the plug.....it should last a long time

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
richie rich said:
I use a product called corrosion block.......spray it in and it foams up on your parts.....if its heavy corrosion you may need to scrape a little.....then use Lubrimatic contact grease in the plug.....it should last a long time

I second using Corrosion Block. It works really well.

Mjdap

Reaction score
I tried the spray, but this was not effective.
This is where I am in the troubleshooting:

1: The pin harness had corrosion, so I wire burshed the small copper female pin sleeves that are within the harness receiver.

2: As I wire brushed, the red wire pin connector copper sleeve (power) became fragemented and came out of the small socket.

3: Now, is there a way to insert another copper sleeve into the small socket, or do I have to replace the entire harness.

I am not sure how this corrosion happened, the harness is tucked away in the electronics box behind the window, and water into this area is limited at best. The boat is in the water in the upper chesapeake, so it is in fresh water or brackish, and the boat is in cape may nj for 6 weeks in the summer.

I wonder what other connectors within the boat should be looked at.

richie rich

Reaction score
MJ, can you post a pic of the connector or try and get a part number off the connector? Not sure if you can just replace the copper sleeve on one of the pins, but you may be able to get a new connector and re-solder the ends. We do that on the manufacturing floor on many pieces of equipment........it doesn't take much to get pin connectors corroded out...thats why I like using contact grease on plug connections to keep moisture out.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What type of GPS are you talking about? The easist solution in my mind would be to replace the cable if the connector is bad on one end. It shouldn't be a very difficult proposition and something most DIYers can handle.

seasick

Reaction score
It is not practical to replace the connector. You need to replace the connector/harness. In addition, if one pin corroded, the rest wont be far behind

Mjdap

Reaction score
/thanks, I ended up replacing connector harness. I will also heat shrink the connectors to the terminal block and some moisture preventive grease in the connector.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
FWIW, i use a coat hunger and stick in there and wigle it a little, it worked for me once or twice, i do the same thing for the trailer connectors(the flat ones).