wish list

seasick

Reaction score
If I put together a list of the things I would like to upgrade or install on my 20 footer and I could only buy one, which one would it be?
Here are the things I wish I had or could modernize in no specific order. What would you pick?
Freefall windlass
New Sounder/fishfinder
New trim tabs
Hydrolic steering
Hard top

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
New Sounder/fishfinder... That is if you fish.. This would be #1.

Then the steering just to make your boating experience that much better..

Good luck.

seabob4

Reaction score
Seastar, contact me for a great price, and maybe you can get something else on your wish list.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yeah, a new seastar hydraulic steering would be high on my list if you have a jerky cable steering setup. If you fish a lot and your finder doesn't work, then that would also be high on my list. Both are expensive options though.

I use my tabs on every trip, so I can't imagine the boat not having them. Do you have tabs that don't work or just never had them?

Not sure I'd bother with a windlass or hardtop for a 20' boat. I run open a lot, just use the bimini for sun shade, or close it in on the rare occasion that we're out in cooler temps or if it's windy. That's pretty rare. Now, if I had a bigger boat that I didn't trailer then I'd definately want a hardtop.

And a windlass is nice for bigger ground tackle you find on the bigger boats. For a 15lb anchor with some chain, armstrong is do-able. If you don't have one, a bow roller is a big help getting the anchor up and down. They're about $40 and money well spent.

seasick

Reaction score
CJBROWN said:
Yeah, a new seastar hydraulic steering would be high on my list if you have a jerky cable steering setup. If you fish a lot and your finder doesn't work, then that would also be high on my list. Both are expensive options though.

I use my tabs on every trip, so I can't imagine the boat not having them. Do you have tabs that don't work or just never had them?

Not sure I'd bother with a windlass or hardtop for a 20' boat. I run open a lot, just use the bimini for sun shade, or close it in on the rare occasion that we're out in cooler temps or if it's windy. That's pretty rare. Now, if I had a bigger boat that I didn't trailer then I'd definately want a hardtop.

And a windlass is nice for bigger ground tackle you find on the bigger boats. For a 15lb anchor with some chain, armstrong is do-able. If you don't have one, a bow roller is a big help getting the anchor up and down. They're about $40 and money well spent.

I don't have tabs and know I could use them. At the same time, I would make good use of a new color fishfinder. I can live with the sloppy steering and can't see the bang for the buck going hardtop at this time.
For the cost of the windlass, I could do both the finder and the tabs...I will probaly go for the fishfinder....no the tabs...well maybe fishfinder.....both... oiy!

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a Lowrance 5" color combo unit that really works out well. Again, for a smaller boat, a less expensive option that works makes sense. You can spend many thousands on Raymarine and Furuno electronics, and for a bigger boat I'd probably go that way. But for a coastal boat the simpler units and smaller screens are fine.

Lowrance has an excellent reputation for customer service and easy to use, functional, and dependable units. My boat had the display unit mounted but nothing else. I put a transom 'ducer on so I could have temp readout, and because they're cheap. BTW, it was suggested that I mount a piece of starboard with 5200 and two screws to the transom, that way I could mount as many units as I wanted without drilling a bunch of holes in the boat. That has worked out really well. Anyway, once I got the transducer connected I realized the head unit had quit, so I sent it back to Lowrance and they replaced it without question and without any documentation. I thought that was pretty good. They are super easy to deal with and stand behind their product 100%. It has worked flawlessly for the last two years now.

Last year I found a GPS antenna on ebay for $150, and the Nauticpath chart chip for $80, so I was able to get that part of it working too. You can get a 5" color combo display unit for $500-$600. The accessories do come up on ebay and you can save some money that way. I'm well under a grand for the whole setup: finder with temp, 50-200mgz ducer, gps, and chart pack.

I also have a Garmin handheld unit I bought when I had a 15' RIB. They work well in tandem, plus it gives me a backup for GPS nav. I put a velcro strip on the helm and use the handheld for the navigation rose to a waypoint, and put the chart up on the Lowrance. When I get to my fishing grounds I have a nice color finder to use, with temps, fish marks, and lots of detail.

While the combo unit will display a split screen, the two panels are awfully small on a 5" screen. I wouldn't plan on using it much that way. Also, when it's rough, it's very difficult to run menu's and such on any of them.

I don't have radar, but if I was doing much night work offshore, or if we had a lot of fog then it would be a must. For some shorleline fog and long-distance navigating, the GPS works out really well.

My preference would be to flush mount my combo unit with my Icom 502, but the electronics box is so darn handy for storage. There isn't much storage handy on the 208 helm, so it would be a real loss.

Let us know what you decide on and how it works out.

Fishtales

Reaction score
i'd do the hard top and tell the wife/girl friend you did it for her.
always nice to get a smoothie in the shade.... :lol:

HMBJack

Reaction score
Assuming you already have a EPIRB with integrated GPS ( I carry 2), then I'd swing for the Hard Top 1st then save up for the tabs. Can't imagine using my boat without all of these items. The sounder is also a given. Yikes! You know what BOAT stands for right?

Break Out Another Thousand

Cheers,
Jack

Seahunter

Reaction score
It's a toss up between a good fish finder or a hardtop. A hardtop is the basis for future expansion but you need a good fish finder if you’re a fisherman as well

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Depends what you would use the most and would releieve the most stress and make your days on the water better. If you fish a lot, a good quality sounder is a top priority, but if yours works well and finds fish but is just older, you might be able to hold off. A hardtop is a big plus, I've had boats with and without, and once you have one with you will never buy one without again. It is great to get you out of the eleements, both hot and cold as well as wet. It also will be the biggest increase come time to resell the boat, the other items will see very little change in price if you do sell. New trim tabs are not necessary unless yours do not work, they can be repaired and should last the life of the boat, they are typically trouble free. If your talking about adding a pair, ask yourself if you need them, I know the 20' can use them from time to time to fix the trim angle, but the big difference will be at slower speeds to stay on plane in rough conditions, everything else can really be trimmed using the engines. Adjusting a list is another issue, maybe you need them or need to rethink how you load the boat. Another solution if you ride bow high, move gear forward to the cabin. Hydraulic steering is a nice touch, and will make driving much nicer, I'd add this towards the top of the list. If you dock in tight quarters or where it can be tricky, this might be moved up even more. If your ok with how it handles and it does not stress you out then I'd look for something of higher priority, but this is an item I'd add at some point for sure. The windlass would be last on my list unless you have a bad back or fish alone. You can always use an anchor ball to bring the anchor up. You can only use a windlass to bring in about 300' of line or so on that boast, otherwise you'll need bigger or more batteries, windlass's use a bit of juice. If you only anchor occasionally it is not worth this addition, but would be a nice add on when the money is there and things higher on the list are added. You need to think about what will effect your boating trips the most and what will make you enjoy the boat the most for how you use it. Since the hardtop is very pricey compared to the others, you may be able to afford half the other items opposed to the hardtop so think about that as well, would you like a few items, or one big one, really dfepends how you use the boat. Maybe go for the sounder and steering, that would be my pick if your able to swing the bill of a hardtop. Good luck!! Let us know what you decide and add some picks.

seasick

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback.
I will probably do the fishfinder since I do fish and my fairly old Lowrance is not even close to current technology.
After doing some research on the 208, I found out that if the boat has a hardtop, it probably should be powered with a 175 instead of the current 150. At 175, Grady recommends hydrolic steering. So the hardtop option is really, top, motor and steering. That's out of the question.
I am starting to look at the season end clearance sale for fishfinders. Anyone have input on the Garmin 400 line?