WMW ticking me off.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
ok, now I am pissed

I just got off the phone with WNW Marine. I am trying to order the damn top. I already paid for the shipping and they are saying that they will only take a check for the FULL amount of the top.. sight unseen.. not a CC..

What the hell kind of crap is this? This day and age, they want me to send them a freaking 10-11k dollar check for a product and service that is 5-7 weeks out.. and will not take any sort of CC?

Total BS

Now, I either have to cough it up or pay lose the $1k I spent on shipping

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Sorry.. Credit Card.

Essentially, they want me to send them an 11,500 dollar check up front before they will do anything. Would have been nice if they had mentioned that before I paid the shipping.

And, sorry to vent.. mad atm.. was an eye opener. I have someone south of me doing a quote for an aluminum top with everything they have added.. but I am not sure I will be able to get an enclosure without it being a standard top.. so..

BUT.. I am sure it will be a hell of a lot less...and I bet they take a credit card.

I could send the freaking check, that is not the point.. it is the principle at this time. That.. and I have to FIND the dang checks.. lol..

R

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Nope, and I have a quote for a place in Texas for 3-4k less. Trying to get the shipping changed now.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Yea, I just got off the phone with them.. we are able to re-route. Sorry, jumped the gun on that aspect. Never used uship.

Either way, looks like I can get everything they offered for 3-4k less and not have to ship to them.

Just irked is all. They could have said something but, more importantly... never would have guessed someone would ask for everything up front on that large of a dang order.

So, will go elsewhere.

Sorry guys.. just was looking forward to that and threw me for a loops.

R

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Since any outfit that has your boat in their possession and has done work that was agreed upon by the registered owner, I believe they have the right to hold the boat till the bill is settled. For that reason, I would think something like a 10% good faith deposit should suffice.

Understand, I ain't no lawyer but that's how I would look at it.

Reactions: RussGW270

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I feel better now. It was a nightmare finding someone that would do a fiberglass top.. but, they seem to know how to do it AND will be adding an enclosure as well. They did not seem to understand the enclosure in the back of the cockpit.. but imo... that part probably is not needed in Texas heh.

I think this will be just as nice and a lot less.. and 3 hours from me.

R

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Since any outfit that has your boat in their possession and has done work that was agreed upon by the registered owner, I believe they have the right to hold the boat till the bill is settled. For that reason, I would think something like a 10% good faith deposit should suffice.

Understand, I ain't no lawyer but that's how I would look at it.
Oh, I agree.. but, they had a different idea.

Worked out for me.. irked me so much, I went and found someone else and now.. saving a ton of money I can spend on something else.. like.. gas.. lol

R

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Yea, already paid uship. Not a big deal, they were super to change the shipment.

I was really only mad that they just asked for the whole thing up front with a check and I was like, “uh, isn’t this something you could have said up front?”

I would have had the boat in Texas by now.

Never heard of someone asking for 100 percent up front and only with a check. Just shocked me..heh.

Like I said, found a place 3 hours away that will do it all for like 3k less, so worked out better doing option 2. Just really wanted that “Grady top” so, was a little disappointed.

No big deal. Sorry you all had to listen to the vent...but futtire folks will need to know this aspect, I am sure

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I suspect the basic "issue" is that WMW mainly does OEM in bulk and probably doesn't sell too many tops directly to consumers. So their business practices are more geared around a world where a "large" order is a few hundred thou...

I've generally heard very good things about them and I plan on buying some rocket launchers from them one of these days for my 330...

Fishtales

Reaction score
Saved money, less hassle and reduced ship. All good.... Let it go and get the top installed!

Reactions: RussGW270

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Will start a new thread with updates of stuff I am doing..more of a positive not.