wobbling armrests on my 2004 Sailfish

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The reason I put the year is because the Pomanette seat design changed shortly afterwards. :roll:

I'm posting this in case anyone else has the same problems. I recently bought the boat and don't know the entire history of it but doubt that the seats were taken apart by the previous owners.

My armrests on both port and starboard seats are very poorly attached and appear to be loose but the bolts are tight. I called Grady White about this and they said they have never had an issue with this before but had mentioned the discoloration of the armrests. I already have the covers which have not yet been installed. So still baffled on this, I decided to call Pompanette directly and got the same response including the discolored armrests. So I asked them if they had a drawing of the chair and they did. They sent it to me and instantly I figured out my problem. The armrest U shaped frame is supposed to be bolted on top of the seat frame and not from the underside.

It makes sense for two reasons,
1) The entire armrest bracket is now supported instead of only half of it.
2) The armrest is now at an appropriate height instead of being uncomfortably low.

Well, If anyone else has this problem then here's the solution. So simple that it was overlooked by both G.W. and Pompanette. :idea:

By the Way, The Service manager at G.W. was trying very hard to help me. I don't recall his name but was very impressed with his knowledge of my boat. He has answered numerous questions I've had about running wires and other questions I had. I am glad I finally bought a Grady White. :wink:

sluggoe

Reaction score
i actually want to take the armrests off on my sailfish so there is more room to move around;

i took a look under the seats to see if it would be easy but it seems like it will be difficult to get them off.....is that true?

also, by removing the armrests, will it inhibit the structural integrity of the seat itself?

--sluggoe

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Send me your email or fax number and I'll send you the factory drawings of the complete seat assembly. Looks fairly easy to take apart.

sluggoe said:
i actually want to take the armrests off on my sailfish so there is more room to move around;

i took a look under the seats to see if it would be easy but it seems like it will be difficult to get them off.....is that true?

also, by removing the armrests, will it inhibit the structural integrity of the seat itself?

--sluggoe