Worst Riding Boats

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Yea, I saw it, but it's a worthless thread, fed by a lot of armchair experts and perpetual mouth-pieces. There's enough wind over there to hold a sailboat regatta!

I've owned 4 Grady's, but have owned and run a LOT of other kinds of boats. They are a good all-round performer, and do a lot of things well. Not the best ride in a head-sea, and not the worse. You can make just about any boat ride decent, or terrible, depending on the guy at the helm.

My 29 Blackfin, with 16,000 lbs and 24 degree deadrise, was a terrific head-sea boat, but wasn't good on the drift, or even trolling in a beam sea. I was in an 85' Camper-Nicholson, in the Bahamas, where the ride was so bad that furniture was falling over and a 26" tv came flying out of it's locked cabinet. Big boat; bad ride in rough seas.

So let those guys impress and amuse themselves. Keeps 'em away from here. :D

Brad1

Reaction score
Let them think what they will.

As I said over on that thread, for a boat of it's size and class, my 226 holds it's own in rough water and I don't think there's a 22 ft walkaround on the market that does any better.

I know that if / when the time comes to sell it, the prospective buyer will be impressed with how it handles Lake Erie.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
what i don't understand is the level of anger that some of the posters exhibit. why? can't they just state their case without the bile?

i know that this is a grady site, but we all don't just sit around singing Kumbaya and drinking koolaide. a lot of differences of opinion are made without having to worry if someone knows where you live.

there are a lot of posters over there with good insight, but if i have to read on every thread that i'm a jerk for buying a grady; well that's going to get old. i bought a grady because of its reputation and the quality of its build and support. that costs money. i have been very happy with the boat and the service. you get what you pay for. we toured the factory this summer and, seeing the boats in pieces, you can really tell where the costs come from.

somebody also minimized the CSI awards (did not bash them). while you can't use a CSI to judge "ride", they speak volumes to company commitment to provide a top quality product to consumers.

not every product is everything to everyone. if someone bought a super go-fast, i'm sure they could complain that it doesn't perform well on a troll.

i don't know, it just bothers me when people attack others just because they don't agree with their position. sorry for the vent.

Stonewall

Reaction score
Yeah...I have owned a few boats too in my checkered past. None of them compare to the Grady ride. Even the 35' Luhrs that was 20,000# didn't ride as nice as my 30 and 33 Gradys. Especially in a following sea. There will always be Grady bashers out there as long as there are boats owner. They just don't know any better nor do they have a clue. I just smile and enjoy the ride.

Bama96

Reaction score
Yes you get what you pay for. Go out and look at any 10 year old boats. Then go look at a 10 year old Grady. That is the difference. Quality materials and workmanship. That is why the resale is so good. I love mine regardless of what others say. It just gets old. The same thing all the time, "they ride like crap" and" the transom will rot off". I know I am preaching to the choir.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
THT has always had a lot of critics who don't know what they are ranting about, yes there are some good ones on their but more then half are a bunch of lunatics. I was a forum member and well...I haven't signed in in a while, I go in to check mail once a month or so to keep in contact with a few friends. I work in the boating indusrty and you'd be surprised how bad some of the advice and comments are fomr theose guys, and whats funnier is when they contraditc what they rant about because they really do not know their stuff. It used to be a great site that was very informative, but now too many critics have joined and made it drama central. Those who know there stuff know whats true and not, it is just a shame for those getting into boating who get bad advice from loud mouths on that site, it is too hard for a newbie boater to tell what is good advice and bad.

alibi 2

Reaction score
made me laugh

what a funny site...

We boat in the rough northern waters of Calif..we had a 25' whaler and now own a 28' Grady...the larger Grady does ride better than the smaller whaler but both are dry boats and very safe...I had a wave break over the whaler and we came through it fine...we took both boats 100 miles out to sea to fish for albacore...

I can't think of better performing boats for the rough conditions we encounter...

Afishinado

Reaction score
It gets old over there for sure, the site gets worse and worse every day. The 'quality' (for lack of a better word) of the posters diminished after they threw out a bunch of the good guys when IB took over. I admit that I fuel the fire at times, I need to not take some of the BS to heart, and not give a hoot.... Little by little I'm losing interest, so there's hope!

Brad1

Reaction score
I still spend some time on THT, but no where near as much as I used to. It has certainly gone way down hill. I noticed the change even before IB took over. I think the real change began back when Wiley created the captains club forum for pay / supporting members only. It seemed to split the forum. The board seemed to go further downward after IB took over.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Like many said, THT was a decent place but since has really hit bottom then started to dig. A boat's quality is not measured by it's deadrise.

LI Grady

Reaction score
You know that entire thread reminds of the self proclaimed "experts" who love to expound on the negative charateristics of sports cars. I've been lucky enough (and dumb enough) to have owned and driven some of the worlds best performance cars. Never fails that someone who (when pushed) admits to have never driven one (but always seems to have a friend, brother, uncle,etc who has one) goes off on price, what other car (there favorite but not one they actually own) is better, etc.

There is no perferct sports car and no perfect boat. Period. There is simply the perfect boat for a particular person and their intended use.

There is a difference is quality and that usually translate back to price. My Z06 Vette is a fast as my 911 was, at half the price but no question about it...it is not screwed toegther the same way.

Grady is more costly. You get what you pay for. Perfection? Nope...but then again not much, custom or production anything is. Personally I just think Grady's build and customer service is a bit closer to it then others.

Ok...I'll get off my soapbox now

TBone

Reaction score
Um.....

I went to that link and read a few replies(cuz i simply got bored too quick to read any more)

Im wondering if any of those guys ever go out on ANY boats at all...

One guy said a Sailfish 272 was a wet pounding ride????

My sailfish rides great and is really dry, only time Ive had water spray over was in heavy chop and very high winds, and Im in New England waters.

I was heading west in to the tide with a NW wind, and going in to a thunder storm with extremely high wind. every once in a while,
when cutting thru heay chops, a few waves would spray and the wind would blow them in.

But that ws the heavy wind, and it only was a few times.

And maybe some of those guys just don't know how to trim the boat to the sea??????????

Capt Bill is right about there being alot of wind over there, good place for a wind farm for energy........

mronzo

Reaction score
gradyfish22 said:
THT has always had a lot of critics who don't know what they are ranting about, yes there are some good ones on their but more then half are a bunch of lunatics. I was a forum member and well...I haven't signed in in a while, I go in to check mail once a month or so to keep in contact with a few friends. I work in the boating indusrty and you'd be surprised how bad some of the advice and comments are fomr theose guys, and whats funnier is when they contraditc what they rant about because they really do not know their stuff. It used to be a great site that was very informative, but now too many critics have joined and made it drama central. Those who know there stuff know whats true and not, it is just a shame for those getting into boating who get bad advice from loud mouths on that site, it is too hard for a newbie boater to tell what is good advice and bad.

Did you read the guy who said he had a 265 that rode like crap and pounded? Yours doesn't ride like crap and pound does it? Mine neither!
The bashers will always bash...

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yeah, yeah, the 265 rides like crap, the 330 rides like crap the 336 rides like crap, the whole Grady line as a matter of fact is crap. :wink:

I send the guy a nice PM, he never reply. He must be good friends with Jimmy. :lol:

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
On the other side of the coin, too many members incl. "dual resident members" are very aggressive in defending Grady over at THT.

Why? What do you care if someone else thinks your ride sucks and says so, or it's overpriced, or whatever ? Perhaps some of them do have experience and tried different boats in same conditions, and they really feel that way, and perhaps others are jealous. So what?

Ironically, the "I hate Grady" fan club chairman is none other than someone making a living off of Gradys. The very cloths on his back and food in his mouth. And proud of it. Adds a dose of insult to paying customers as a free no-charge bonus. I can see as a circus act, but what's up with the curiosity ?

If you are getting paid or otherwise profitting from defending Grady, then fine.

Grady or BW luving at THT is the wrong place for it.

Part of the anti - Grady sentiment is generated from Grady fanatics, IMHO, good here at GG, not over there.

For instance, on a recent thread here a new member asked about making a Grady more family friendly, with carpets and more seating.

To the current crop of Grady fanatics, he's right on. To the THT crowd - that's a forum kiss of death. Better off doing that here as he did.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Legend said:
Yeah I think it is Jimmy. His style has not changed

Jim provides us all with some comic relief - even down to insulting potential customers. Leave him alone and just enjoy the show you don't have pay for.

bc282

Reaction score
Yesterday, i read the entire thread on THT. Definitely agree there are too many armchair capts. and individuals with personal agendas.

With any post and thread--take it was a grain of salt and not as gospel.

have watched and joined THT for since only 2005, learned lots and has been very valueable, but each year it feels like the BS is escalated.

We need more people with solid advice, expertise, knowledge and the integrity to go with it.

Don't do or say stuff you wouldn't say in person (aka don't be a jackazz on the forums just because they can't slap you)

it's too very easy to sit behind a computer and alias BS.

the world including forums need more: wisdom, integrity, transparency, honesty and humility