Worth it or not ?

ocdansar

Reaction score
Pricing Garmin electronics for the next boat. Looking at two 12” screens dome radar and a 1 kw transducer . 7412 garmins v 8612’s. Over 2 thousand dollars difference. What do you guys think Spend the money and get the newest thing out or put the savings in the gas tank ?

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Assuming you are considering the xsv models, (definitely go with the xsv) there is only a $500 difference and according to the Garmin website, the 7412 does not have preloaded maps. Go with the 8612xsv.

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Do you need new tanks ? Or was that just a figure of speech?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I could be wrong because its a confusing subject but....I think the side vu transducers only come as 600w so if you want to use sidevu AND the 1kw down sonar capability you will need 2 transducers. The 8612 does have multiple inputs....but if you have two (with sonar) then thats a moot point...

7412 can come preloaded with G2 charts vs 8612 with G3 charts...dunno if that is that important.

Love to spend other peoples money so I say 86 but if were me I'd be maximizing my dollar and staring at every possible combination for months.... :rolleyes:

you'll need autopilot too and the heading sensor will allow your radar to use MARPA

Last edited:

amf282

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If you are going with a pair of Garmin's like 8612 , you will only need one xsv model paired with a standard unit as when networked will work the same on both units. We actually have the 10 inch screens (7610) which work just fine. if you went to a 10 inch screen pair, you would save a couple 1000 dollars or more. Great units

Last edited:
Reactions: wspitler and JJMag

ocdansar

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The boat I’m looking at has auto pilot my brother says is compatible with the garmins. I need as big a screen as I can get but I’m going to look at 10” also. I am hoping this is the last boat I have to redo and don’t want to regret my decision down the road based on money.

amf282

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
btw, what boat are we discussing. Yes you never want any regrets. Here's a picture of our screens on a 282.
dash 3.jpgdash 2.jpg

ocdansar

Reaction score
Looking at a 330 that needs some love. What size screens are those? I had twin 942’s in the marlin just like you have set up. Trying to keep it at 10 grand or less.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Looking at a 330 that needs some love. What size screens are those? I had twin 942’s in the marlin just like you have set up. Trying to keep it at 10 grand or less.
I have two 12" screens on my 330. Works good for my old eyes!

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I also did a pair of 12" garmins on my older 330. I mounted on black acrylic but don't have a photo handy atm. (they fit great, about 1" on each side and 2" between them IIRC)

I went with a pair of 1242 XSV Plus (touch only) units. The only regret I had about not going to the $$ more expensive units is that I don't have HDMI input, which would have been cool to hook up a TV tuner and watch TV at the helm. The $2k I saved offset that pretty well though.

ocdansar

Reaction score
I may be getting ahead of myself as I haven’t bought a boat yet. I went to ft Meyers today and picked up a trailer. I have been shopping the garmin 8612’s well last night for some reason the went down 900.$$ for the 2 screens. Today is my 42nd anniversary so I took it as a sign to buy them for my wife to go with her new trailer . I’m sure she will love them.
I’m taking my mechanic brother with me Sunday to go scope the motors on the 33 I’m looking at. I will take pictures and try to post some up.

Reactions: Quicky and kirk a

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I may be getting ahead of myself as I haven’t bought a boat yet. I went to ft Meyers today and picked up a trailer. I have been shopping the garmin 8612’s well last night for some reason the went down 900.$$ for the 2 screens. Today is my 42nd anniversary so I took it as a sign to buy them for my wife to go with her new trailer . I’m sure she will love them.
I’m taking my mechanic brother with me Sunday to go scope the motors on the 33 I’m looking at. I will take pictures and try to post some up.

You have about twice the experience I do in marriage, but darn, if you are not daring!

What is she getting you, diamonds?

Reactions: DogBone

ocdansar

Reaction score
she’s the one that wanted to get a bigger boat. Seriously she’s a keeper.
Dang I ordered the units yesterday late and they were here before lunch. Now I’m hoping for a good survey.