Worth repowering

Vlabruzzo

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
I have an 86 225g tournament. We like the boat. Its solid, needs some tlc. It has a 1991 txrp. Im nervous about the longevity of the engine. The boat isn't the ideal boat for my family but I can see keeping for a few years. I already put a new fuel tank in it too.
What would you guys do, pros cons?
Thanks

jbrinch88

Reaction score
I would go used if wanting a newer dfi 2 stroke or 4 stroke. You will not get your money back repowering new. Also an 86 model year your transom is more than likely saturated.

I'm in the marine business and recently repowered my 88 24 offshore with a new 300 Yamaha after rebuilding/modifying the transom all myself. I know I will not make out ahead I'll be lucky to break even but to me it was worth it because I've done a lot of cosmetic work to make the boat newer and keep it updated. It does everything I need.

If you feel the same way towards your boat then go for it. The feeling of having a new motor back there is great. I went with Yamaha a got a 6 year warranty with mine. Figured I'd sell the boat with a year or two left on the warranty and hope to get some money back.

Reactions: Vlabruzzo

Punch53

Reaction score
I repowered my 92 Seafarer with a low hour HPDI. With the adapter harnesses from Yamaha it was a plug and play. The HPDI is a smooth and economical engine. I'm glad I went that route.

Reactions: Vlabruzzo

Vlabruzzo

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
I would go used if wanting a newer dfi 2 stroke or 4 stroke. You will not get your money back repowering new. Also an 86 model year your transom is more than likely saturated.

I'm in the marine business and recently repowered my 88 24 offshore with a new 300 Yamaha after rebuilding/modifying the transom all myself. I know I will not make out ahead I'll be lucky to break even but to me it was worth it because I've done a lot of cosmetic work to make the boat newer and keep it updated. It does everything I need.

If you feel the same way towards your boat then go for it. The feeling of having a new motor back there is great. I went with Yamaha a got a 6 year warranty with mine. Figured I'd sell the boat with a year or two left on the warranty and hope to get some money back.
I'm praying the transom is good. Is seems very solid. I didnt moisture meter it. It's a closed transom so I think that may be its saving grace