Would it be Unwise to buy a 20 year-old Grady?

Toothpick 10

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have been looking to buy a Grady for about a year now. I'm looking for something that's between 23' to 27' long with a cuddy cabin. My choices seem to be the Gulf Stream, the Voyager, and the Islander. The high end of my budget for the boat is around $30K. My searches lead me to boats that are currently from 17 to 21years old.

Am I crazy to consider a Grady or any other fiberglass boat this old? I have read about wet transoms and stringers in older boats. Would I just be inheriting someone else's problem, and be constantly having to spent money for repairs?

Jody

Reaction score
Mine is a 89 bones are solid

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Mine is a '04,,,14 years young.

As long as the bones are good, should be ok, most everything else can be updated and replaced. I've fished many a day on my buddy's '88 Seafarer, no issues, still a solid boat.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I guess it depends on the boat. I would look at the boats you want and if one picques your interest then hire a surveyor to put a moisture meter on it. I think it was around 2000 to 2001 Grady went to Evergreen marine wood products. They claimed a 50 year no rot warranty. Maybe start your search there?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
depends on the price, the condition of the boat, your expectations, and your ability and willingness to do work yourself.
Saltwater boat?
Will the motor be 20 years old? Thats out on the edge... price accordingly.

Wiring, pumps, electronics will need TLC. Fuel tank and/or hoses may be due for replacement.
Fiberglass is tough stuff and relatively simple to repair if you are handy.

Your budget won't buy a new 25 footer.
The right boat in the 15-20 yr range can be a real bargain compared to new but it takes some work.
The wrong boat can be a hole in the water to throw money in and never get to use

I had an '84 boat that I bought in '99, lower unit broke in '04 so I repowered and ran til '17. I put 1200 hrs on that motor. I poured a new transom in '15 because I was worried about some wet wood in the corners. After tearing apart it really didn't need it but I was committed at that point. I had put a new tank in it. Rewired it. New dash board.
Not complaining but there was always something to do.
In '17 I sold it to someone who should get their moneys worth out of it. Its 34 yrs old. Its not shiny but its seaworthy and has a reliable old motor.
ITS A BOAT. If you are not able to do things yourself, and enjoy it, it will cost you.

jcacchio

Reaction score
I have a 2002 Gulfstream. Twin Honda 130s with 600 hours. Boat is a tank. I keep up with her with regular maintenance and am constantly updating, but no major issues. I hope to keep her for many more years.

Toothpick 10

Reaction score
Model
Islander
So it sounds as though many believe that a quality 20 year-old boat can be found. However, it would be money well spent to hire a marine surveyor to really go through the boat and specifically check for wet stringers and transom.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Age doesn't matter as much as hours of exposure and condition. Our 1999 has never been kept in the water and the engine only has around 300-350 hours. If I could find an Islander with similar stats at the right price, I'd buy it tomorrow... unfortunately they are getting harder to find!

BTW, Grady went to XL board in the transoms in 97 and both stringers and transom in 98 and up. Now you know why we own a 99!

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
you do have to be careful with the yard queens that have really low hrs but sat under a tree for 5 or 10 years collecting leaves, clogging the bilge. then someone compounds it and it looks great but the decks and stringers are soggy and fuel tank is shot.

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi Toothpick,

I just went through a very similar search, and ended up with a 1995 Sailfish 272. My first boat was a 1995 Adventure 208. As others on the forum will tell you, if the boat has been taken care of, and if you do a proper inspection, there is no reason you can't find a solid Grady from the mid-90s.

Don't forget about the Sailfish in your list. Somewhere in the mid-90s (I think) it changed from a 25' to 27'. So, those are two more models you may want to keep in mind.

Toothpick 10

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Jonah said:
Hi Toothpick,

I just went through a very similar search, and ended up with a 1995 Sailfish 272. My first boat was a 1995 Adventure 208. As others on the forum will tell you, if the boat has been taken care of, and if you do a proper inspection, there is no reason you can't find a solid Grady from the mid-90s.

Don't forget about the Sailfish in your list. Somewhere in the mid-90s (I think) it changed from a 25' to 27'. So, those are two more models you may want to keep in mind.

Jonah: When did you pick up the Sailfish and if you don't mind me asking, what did it cost you?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Age is only one factor. How it was treated, stored and maintained are others. Get a good survey, counter to what some say I believe this is very important especially on an older boat as you could get into a problem easier and deeper. Looks for evidence that that the boat was cared for, maintained and repaired properly (if required). Examine decks for soft spots, transom and stringers. Look at non-structural items as well. If the enclosure, cushions, gelcoat and equipment isn't cared for or in good shape, it's likely they didn't spend the money on systems and maintenance. If you get a decent deal, it could work out real well. Just do your homework.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Mine is 18 years old. Looks and runs as good as the day it was launched.

Find one that has been well maintained and enjoy it.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Mines an ‘87 Overnighter. I’m the third owner. The first trailered it, the second racked it and I trailer it. It is also parked dry under a carport.
The bottom was never painted and it was never stored in the water so it’s transom and stringers are dry.
I did have to re-core the deck hatch over the tank which was also replaced, and I had to re-wire it as salt water use will take its toll.
It’s on its third engine but that’s to be expected to a degree.
The boat itself is solid though and serving me well.

jpra

Reaction score
New to the forum but have an '86 Sailfish, bought it '99, and love it. Repowered with twin Suzuki 140's years ago and going strong. Not a speed demon but does what I need. It's hauled and shrink wrapped all winter so I think that helps with the aging process:) People ask me all the time what year it is and when I say '86 they just say "Wow, looks great". Yes, you'll have some work to do. I replaced both tanks and all fuel lines. That was fun! Windows leak a bit but other than that she is solid and handles off shore just fine. Be careful, get it surveyed and go from there.