Would you barrier coat a 20+ y.o. 19' hull?

fatire

Reaction score
Hi,
New owner of an 1989 Tournament 19.
Had all the bottom paint removed by a media blasting process.
Now I'm getting mixed opinions on barrier coating.
Some highly recommend, others say it's overkill for a small boat of this age.
There are multiple places on the chines requiring MarineTex repair.
Oh and I'm on NH coast with a May-Oct season.
Thanks for weighing in!

Also if you own a 19 and recall how much barrier coat or paint needed (or just the square ft. calc.) I'd love that data.

Thanks much,
Steve
NH

ctcbtr

Reaction score
all the marine pros i know would say soda blast, interprotect barrier coat, bottom paint, why find out later you wish you would have put it on? Will do my 252gt that way next year

richie rich

Reaction score
Go to Interlux's web site and look at the primer section...they have product data sheets which tell you how and how much to use including calculating the amount to use,

uncljohn

Reaction score
Forget about the size. Its a Grady. Its also old enough that it was made from materials prone to osmotic blistering (if left in the water). Most small boats are trailered or kept on lifts, so a barrier coat is not needed. If you keep it wet-slipped, then you need a barrier coat. Most boats that age don't have too much life left, but again its a Grady.

I did my 228 2 years ago, soda blasted, ground out some blisters, filled them, barrier coated w/ Interprotect.

I only got 2.5 coats on my 228 with 1 gallon of Interprotect, and you really want 4-5 coats of a barrier coat, so unfortunately you probably need 2 gallons. Read all instructions carefully, buy all the indicated solvents & thinners, and pay particular attention to the timing between coats, most importantly the final barrier coat and initial bottom paint coat.