WOW, I just bought my first GRADY

saltypup

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi All,
Just traded up from a 1974 24' uniflight to a 2001 marlin with yamaha 250's. Wow big change, going to take a while to break myself in, whole different boat especially going from a single inboard with no bow or stern thrusters to having capability to vectored thrust, cant wait to pull into the dock with some sort of control. Going to start a slow learning curve.
Anyway, looks like a great club, glad to join.
I feel like I'm might have a lot of questions but for now i thought I would ask for any suggestions for what I should check or modify on this great craft
Thank you in advance
CP :D

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Congrats and welcome to the forum!

You sure jumped all they way in with a Marlin...great boat!

Hmm...2001? Are they four-strokes?

saltypup

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks
Engines are yamaha 250's 2 stroke, not my dream but we all have to start somewhere!

jehines3

Reaction score
The boat is very predictable at the dock. Even with the engines placed so close together, the boat still pivots on itself nicely. You'll have no troubles. For the most part, keep the motors centered and use the sticks when backing down. jh

saltypup

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
OK thanks,
The yacht broker I bought the boat through did give me a good demo and I saw exatcly that. I'll be out doing boat training on my own this weekend so I'll get to play with it. Big, big difference for me. Going to take things slow and I'm researching a lot. That old uniflight had no chines on the bow, deep V and bow heavy, and it was very squirrly, did some bizarre stuff with trim tabs deflected and going in and out of turns. The boat was overpowered with 350 horse and would do about 30 knots or so, lots of trimming as the boat would try to wrap around the engine. Lots of shaking, noise etc. Anyway enough of that, I just can't beleive the difference in this new platform.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
jehines3 said:
For the most part, keep the motors centered and use the sticks when backing down. jh

Great advise, I think he also has a bow thruster so it's really manuverable (after the learning curve). Once the stern is past the piling I may use some steering but you don't want too many variables (throttles and steering) before you're in.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Great Advice from Jehines..
I was always steering trying to back into a slip along with using the "Sticks"(Throttles,GaryM).
That was too much to think about; One action would undo the other, and I got myself in trouble more than once.
I have much better luck with my 232 just using the engines and keeping them centered.
Still, when you have a crosswind it's hard no matter what..I'm still fine-tuning the procedure.

lgusto

Reaction score
Gents, have to weigh in here, even though I'm in a 232 single, which I've heard is arguably one of the more difficult boats to dock.

I think very hard before every approach, looking for any tell tale signs that will help me understand what my boat's going to do when I get close to the dock or slip. Those signs include bouys with current rushing past, flags and trees flapping, etc. I also just sit still for a moment in open water to see how the boat is going to interact with everything. Don't ever underestimate any situation for its capacity to get you in big trouble real fast. Complacency is punished by the sea gods.

Finally, and this has been the hardest for me, I act purposefully. Going into idle and second guessing myself is a recipe for disaster. These Gradys need to be controlled. Sure, sometimes I overpower like the rookie that I am but that's getting better.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Larry

Gary M

Reaction score
Although I'm far from an expert at driving a boat backwards, a few things that you can do before you ever put an engine in reverse are:

Brief your crew on how you plan to approach the dock.

Brief them on what their job will be.

Have a crew equipped with a boat hook and ensure that they know how to use it! I also have one ready for myself as I carry two at all times. One of them is a Shurhold type that also does duty as my gaff, fish net and mop!

Have all your dock lines attached, coiled and ready. The Spring Line can be your best friend!

Don't be afraid to ask for help from someone on the dock.

If you have twins, don't feel that you need them both in gear all the time. I sometimes will only use one engine in reverse as this will give me a very gentle turn as well as slowing my approach speed.

When you shift, make sure that you've shifted for sure! Several times, I've moved the throttle and "thought" that I was in nuetral, left the helm and found that I'm still in gear! Usually I only use one engine for the last bit of backing in......

Keep your docking thoughts in mind for departing the slip too! I once did not take a stiff cross-breeze into consideration and it caused me quite a problem!

"Never approach a dock faster than you are willing to hit it"!

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
As long as this has turned into a "docking" convo, one more thing I've learned..(almost the hard way..)
Drop your weather canvas if there's a crosswind to your slip. It acts like a sail and causes big problems.