Wreck anchor for Grady 228

mous

Reaction score
My Grady 228 (2004) has a Delta anchor and windlass ... I am going to fish a rocky area and think of getting a Wreck (Grapnel anchor) ...
What size (weight) should I use? ... it won't be attached to a chain to reduce the possibility of being stuck.
Thank you

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have a dedicated wreck anchor that I hand deploy. I'll have to check weight when I get home tonight. Used on same boat as you. I used chain on mine, but it's rigged on bottom eye with a zip-tie release on top eye.

20200503_163509.jpg

Reactions: JJMag

mous

Reaction score
I have a dedicated wreck anchor that I hand deploy. I'll have to check weight when I get home tonight. Used on same boat as you. I used chain on mine, but it's rigged on bottom eye with a zip-tie release on top eye.

View attachment 21138
Thank you for your reply .... I'll wait for further details ... what is your maximum anchorage depth? do you use it offshore?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
On my 20 fter we had success with 5 lb and 6.5 lb folding grapnels as well as homemade rebar/iron pipe grapnels...rigged from rear for breakaway.
Too much chain is bad because its heavier than the anchor...tangles and or gets stuck in things...I'll never know cause they were 70 ft down and are still there....
I have used just rope and got cut off on a sharp wreck after 4 hours..
Generally we used them in calm weather in 60-100 ft directly snagging wrecks surrounded by sand....almost no scope..
I have used...and eventually lost a heavy rebar grapnel on my 26 footer.

It helps alot to have a swivel on the rode/chain because they spin badly on the way up and twist/untwist your 3 strand badly...

1623196701348.png

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
This is what I have. Grappler Anchor. 5.5 pounds. Used on near shore reefs and a couple offshore reefs, 60 ft or so. Will probably switch to just rode, no chain.

Screenshot_20210608-203754_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: GW VOYAGER