WTB 1998- 2004 228 seafarer

Danf12

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Looking for 228 seafarer on a trailer with hard top.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What’s your location, budget, how far are you willing to travel and so forth? There was one that I linked a week ago or so for I believe $25k in Florida that looked pretty nice but looks as though it’s been sold. Good luck with your search, it took me just over a year to find mine.

Danf12

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm in so cal. I looked at the one for 25k and it was pretty well beaten. Someone beat me to another one for $21900 that would have been perfect and I would have repowered. I realize that I am just going to have to ship one across the country and that is Ok if the price is right and I would prefer to repower with a new engine of choice.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Danf12

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
And thank you for the quick reply. I always appreciate your boat seeking.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
No worries. I always like to look for people as I know several who are looking, and it’s fun to both keep tabs on the current used boat market as well as help others spend their money :D

Reactions: Don Davis

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here’s two for sale on Craigslist, one local and the other on the east coast. The first is from California, 2002 but needs engine work done to it. $30k is a bit steep imo, especially with it needing engine work. The second is a 2001 in Boston but has a 2 stroke motor on it.

Danf12

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Good looking out!

The one in Boston looks clean and if I were closer I would pick it up today .

30k is steep for a blown engine boat with out a hard top but someone will eventually pay it or at least come close. That is what we are up against here in Ca.

Pighunter

Reaction score
Here’s two for sale on Craigslist, one local and the other on the east coast. The first is from California, 2002 but needs engine work done to it. $30k is a bit steep imo, especially with it needing engine work. The second is a 2001 in Boston but has a 2 stroke motor on it.

That one on the east coast looks like a good deal. I had my 228 delivered from North Carolina during the covid shutdown, right about $3000 through Uship.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The one in Boston looks really clean, seems like an ok price for what you get, but you do get 2 stroke power, which really just depends on whether that’s a dealbreaker for you or not.

The one in California is a year newer but yes, the engine sounds at the least very questionable. The hardtop is also aftermarket and the roof material looks like it’s made of canvas instead of fiberglass. I will say that if you could get the motor operational and consistent for $2k-5k then it might be worth it as shipping costs are crazy on boats potentially going from one coast to the other.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That one on the east coast looks like a good deal. I had my 228 delivered from North Carolina during the covid shutdown, right about $3000 through Uship.
I’ve bought 3 boats on the east coast and each time I looked at quotes from Uship to get them transported out here. The first in 2017 was going to be a minimum of $2,500 and the most was over $7k. Seems like they’re all over the place but $3k is likely less than you could do the trip for yourself, which definitely makes more sense imo. The first time I drove from Seattle out to Oxford, MD and back, of which I figure I spent around $1,700-$1,800 to do so and it took me 7 days to do the round trip. Spending an extra $1,200-$1,300 to have someone do it for you and not have to spend a week doing it on your own would be a no brainer. This last boat, I was actually already over in Maryland, so I rented a UHaul truck and drove it back myself. It was probably $3,500 to do so but I didn’t want to wait 2-3 weeks for a shipping company to deliver my boat to me. Also, a neighbor had his boat shipped from Florida out here as well and along the way the driver hit a tree limb that ripped the radar off the top of his boat. The shipping company obviously paid for the repairs, but I didn’t want someone else to be responsible for the fate of my boat. I wanted to be responsible for potentially any issues on my own.

Danf12

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I agree that ideally I would drive out and haul back but you are right. $3500 is a no brainer. The drivers can usually get paid to haul a load each way so it makes sense. With current gas prices I would jump on 3.5k in a heart beat.

Pighunter

Reaction score
I’ve bought 3 boats on the east coast and each time I looked at quotes from Uship to get them transported out here. The first in 2017 was going to be a minimum of $2,500 and the most was over $7k. Seems like they’re all over the place but $3k is likely less than you could do the trip for yourself, which definitely makes more sense imo. The first time I drove from Seattle out to Oxford, MD and back, of which I figure I spent around $1,700-$1,800 to do so and it took me 7 days to do the round trip. Spending an extra $1,200-$1,300 to have someone do it for you and not have to spend a week doing it on your own would be a no brainer. This last boat, I was actually already over in Maryland, so I rented a UHaul truck and drove it back myself. It was probably $3,500 to do so but I didn’t want to wait 2-3 weeks for a shipping company to deliver my boat to me. Also, a neighbor had his boat shipped from Florida out here as well and along the way the driver hit a tree limb that ripped the radar off the top of his boat. The shipping company obviously paid for the repairs, but I didn’t want someone else to be responsible for the fate of my boat. I wanted to be responsible for potentially any issues on my own.
Bids were $2500 to $5800 I chose a contractor for $2700, he lost a wheel bearing in Wyoming on a Friday night. I didn't sleep at all that night. But He was great, I found a shop 35 miles from him. He babied it to the shop and was back on the road Saturday afternoon. I tipped him $400 so the total was $3100

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Bids were $2500 to $5800 I chose a contractor for $2700, he lost a wheel bearing in Wyoming on a Friday night. I didn't sleep at all that night. But He was great, I found a shop 35 miles from him. He babied it to the shop and was back on the road Saturday afternoon. I tipped him $400 so the total was $3100
Oh yes, for an extra $1k or so and to have it done for you then it’s very much an easy decision, especially if you have prior engagements or other obligations like work to attend to. If you want to do the trek, have the time and want to save a few bucks, like I did the first time… then it’s not a bad decision. Especially if you’ve never done the trip before as I thought it was pretty fun to do.

Quadbaja

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Looking for 228 seafarer on a trailer with hard top.
I've got a seafarer
Excellent condition
In northern California
Fremont
Low hours
Always garaged
I can send you more information
Or see craigslist bay area

Pighunter

Reaction score
I've got a seafarer
Excellent condition
In northern California
Fremont
Low hours
Always garaged
Put a link for your boat.

Danf12

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I saw that one on CL. She looks clean for a 96 but I'm moving forward with a newer model with low hours.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've got a seafarer
Excellent condition
In northern California
Fremont
Low hours
Always garaged
What's up with the random 2nd picture in the CL ad of a newer GW 228 Seafarer from Georgia?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
There's this one in Florida... although the price seems a bit steep to me considering that I bought my boat last October in Maryland for $26.5k... and other than having a bow pulpit as well as being 2 years newer, I'm not sure what constitutes it having an over $20k higher asking price than what I paid for mine.

Reactions: Pighunter