Wtb 2004 or newer Grady walkaround

Jfoster

Reaction score
Hello, hope everyone is well. I’m looking to purchase any Grady White Walkaround boat 2004 or newer. Thank you I’m advance for all your help.

seasick

Reaction score
Since your requirements are kind of vague, how about giving an idea of how much you are willing to spend. There aren't a lot of options for a 22-24 foot WA. Gulfstream 232 comes to mind. 04, 05 hulls are asking about $40,000 at this time.

Last edited:

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Start looking,,,,,,,,

This pages "For Sale" section
Boat Trader
Yacht World
Craigslist
Facebook Grady-White pages marketplace
Ebay
Grady-White dealers, start looking at their websites.

Everyone else is looking for the same thing, you've just joined a long list.

If,,, not when,,, you find one, you had better be ready to move on it, if it's a good deal, someone else is right behind you to buy it.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I sold my previous boat, a 21’ Arima, last September and have been looking for a 228 Seafarer ever since then. I’m looking at a 2004 tomorrow that hopefully is as stated and nice enough to pull the trigger on. I’ve put offers down on I think 3 others since last September… one had a questionable motor, the other had some damage to the boat hull/structure itself, the other the owner wasn’t being forthright and the list goes on. As stated above, what’s your budget and what’s your primary need(s) for the boat? If you’re just wanting a cruiser then I’d maybe even go smaller like a 208 Adventurer but if you want as big as possible and will be fishing and taking it 50+ miles offshore, then the 232 Gulfstream or the 248 Voyager come to mind.

I personally like the idea of a 228 Seafarer the best as it has an 8’ beam, is trailerable and launchable by yourself, the flooring is all one level without any steps or stairs and is a decently sized 22’ boat with the transom bracket on the back. With a 225hp motor on up to the newer ones with 300hp, it will ride nicely, get decent fuel economy and not have any issues getting up on a plane. The 232 Gulfstream goes up to a 9’3” beam and has a step up into the cockpit area, which I’m not a big fan of because of a potential for tripping or falling, especially with having older parents. It’s a considerably heavier boat and likely way overkill for fishing by myself or having a couple buddies onboard. It also has a 9’3” beam, which I believe in some states you have to get a special permit to trailer the boat? It also has kind of a funky cabin design with a bunk style bed as opposed to the 228. It seems like they’re 50/50 whether they have twins or not, which twins generally mean a higher upfront cost, potential for higher maintenance costs of having two main motors, more weight and less fuel economy. That, and I could be wrong, but I’m thinking a single main when you have twins probably wouldn’t get the boat up on a plane? The bigger size of boat is also likely going to make the purchase price more than say a 208, 226/228 would be. Although, it seems like there are more 208’s and 232’s out there for sale as opposed to 228’s? At least from what I’ve seen.

The 248 Voyager was discontinued back after the 2002 season, so it’s been gone for almost 20 years now. I believe it’s an 8.5’ beam of which you can still find them available on BT or other boat sales websites. The GW homepage has all of the previous model catalogs that you can look up on there to get specs on and so forth. The 226/228 were also just discontinued this year, which makes me think they’ll be even harder to come by in used condition, or at least for a decent price. I would recommend, as stated above, have your loan or finances ready to pull the trigger when one pops up, do some research on here and the GW site, maybe even try to make some friends on here that have boats you’re interested in potentially buying, or go to a dealer and walk around on a 232 or used 228 to see if you even like it. Like KY Grady said above, it might not happen for sometime, if at all. Figure out what your needs for a boat are, what options and features you like, as well as your budget, and go from there. With fall/winter being nigh, I’d imagine prices are going to drop a bit and be more of a buyers market. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: PointedRose

Jfoster

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the input. I appreciate that. I’m thinking I would prefer the 228 seafarer as well. Had a oldie Goldie some time ago and loved it. I’m just looking to cruise. I’d like to stay on the 40k range

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It’s not a 2004 and newer but it is a 2003 with a 2011 motor. I have no affiliation with it, just passing it along.

Jfoster

Reaction score
Mustang 65. This fits the bill perfect. I will be reaching out. Thank you everyone in advance.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Mustang 65. This fits the bill perfect. I will be reaching out. Thank you everyone in advance.
I also posted the link for this boat in the other thread. It’s not mine, nor do I have any affiliation with the boat, just saw it on BT. I’d proceed with caution though… the price seems a bit low, the ad only has two pictures and the numbers on the side of the boat don’t appear to be in the same state where the boat is listed for sale. If anyone does proceed with inquiring on, definitely make sure it is legit. Good luck!

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I found another link for the same boat posted above on BT that’s also now on Craigslist. Boat appears to be legit and this ad has a few more pictures. Looks like it’s in decent shape and with a fair price, has radar, no trailer though. No affiliation on my end, just passing it along to everyone else.