WTB Grady 208 or 226 Canada

Mitch360

Reaction score
Hey Folks, Starting my search now for a new to me Grady. Looking for something 1997 and newer with 4 stroke power if possible. I would like to stay within Canada if possible to avoid dealing with a border crossing. Budget is up to ~35K CAD.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
^^^^ Ha! Definitely what he said. I flew from Seattle out to Maryland back in October to buy my 2004 Grady White 228 Seafarer because the prices out here in the Seattle/PNW/West Coast area are absolutely insane. $35k CAD is roughly $27.5k USD and I bought my boat for what I'd consider a great price at $26.5k. Basically like Don Davis mentioned, it's likely not going to happen in either that price range or for the location you're looking. I think your best bet to get anywhere near that price range would be to do like what I did and buy a boat on the east coast and either drive it back yourself, or have it shipped back for you. I looked at prices for 228 Seafarers for well over a year before I finally found my boat, they ranged anywhere from $20k up to over $50k USD and let's just say that the ones in the $20k - $30k range either look like a train wreck or they aren't for sale for very long before selling. You also might want to put where in Canada approximately that you're located as Canada is a rather large country. If you are in eastern Canada it would be advantageous because there are a few boats in the northeastern part of the US for sale that are close to your criteria. But again, I'm not sure where you're located at, and I think you'll either likely have to travel quite a bit or increase your budget in order to find what you're looking for. Good luck!

Last edited:

Mitch360

Reaction score
I'm located in newfoundland. Looks like I may have expand my search area and budget by the sounds of it then!

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Well... I haven't done much research up in Canada but it looks like the only thing close to what you're looking for that's in relatively close proximity to you is a 2006 Grady White 228 Seafarer in Ontario. But it's $90k CAD. About the only two other options would be for you to drive/fly the 1,700 miles down to the states to New York where there's 1999 GW 208 Adventure on Boat Trader for $24,800. The other I'm thinking is possibly a scam, but it's a 2001 GW 208 Adventure on Boat Trader as well in Maine and they want $30k for it. If you did like one of those boats you could always have one shipped up to you but I'd have to imagine that's going to cost several thousand dollars to do so, I was quoted $4k+ for the 3,000 miles from Maryland to Seattle for my boat, and that didn't involve a border crossing. Unfortunately the jump from a 208 Adventure on up to a 226/228 Seafarer occurs both in terms of size and price as the 226/228 Seafarers are usually around $10k or so more than what most 208 Adventure's sell for.

I'm not sure what the current situation is with border crossings but that would be another speed bump that you'd have to work out as well. I'm not sure if there's sales tax up in Canada like there is with most states in the US, or what/if any kind of fee you have to pay at the border for a newly purchased vehicle/vessel, but if there are then I think you're going to be considerably over your budget and it likely won't be worth it for you. If there aren't those two things then you could always drive down, buy the boat and trailer it back to Canada after having the trailer inspected. I think that would definitely be your cheapest route, unless you got extremely lucky and found a steal of a deal somewhere up in Canada where you didn't have to deal with the border crossing. If you are serious about buying a boat, I'd have your finances ready to go at a moment's notice and be able to travel or have a surveyor lined up for you as fantastic deals on boats sometimes last only hours, or even less. Good luck!

Mitch360

Reaction score
I just came across a 2000 228, no bottom paint, aftermarket hardtop, full electronic including auto-pilot. Trailer. Couple cushions need re-covering. Killer is it has a 2016 G2 etec 225 with 304 hours. he is asking $40K CAD. Thoughts

Glong

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have 97 thats set up nice good electronics,spot lock,200 suzi w/600 hrs,25 rod holders etc asking 41k

Reactions: LaFlamaBlanca

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just came across a 2000 228, no bottom paint, aftermarket hardtop, full electronic including auto-pilot. Trailer. Couple cushions need re-covering. Killer is it has a 2016 G2 etec 225 with 304 hours. he is asking $40K CAD. Thoughts
$40k CAD is almost $31.5k USD and for the year, a 2 stroke ETEC and so forth... I personally wouldn't be interested. After having bought my boat for $26.5k, I wouldn't want to pay $5k more for a boat that's 4 years older, has an aftermarket hardtop, a 2 stroke ETEC that has since gone out of business, needs the cushions to be recovered and so on. I do like that the boat doesn't have bottom paint on it, has AP and from what it sounds like newer electronics. It really depends on if the price is in your ballpark and right for you though. If it's nearby, there probably isn't going to be much that will beat it in terms of the price and availability, especially if you're not wanting to travel down to the US. Is the aftermarket hardtop fiberglass or aluminum with the canvas inserts?

Last edited:

LaFlamaBlanca

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Got a link?

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Mustang, it is time .......for you to start "Grady White location and tutorial" service. You certainly do have the ability to track down what is potentially available, with considerable insight and personal info. :):)

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Mustang, it is time .......for you to start "Grady White location and tutorial" service. You certainly do have the ability to track down what is potentially available, with considerable insight and personal info. :):)
Instead of Dog the Bounty Hunter it can be Mustang the Grady Hunter :D

Tug

Reaction score
Mustang has a very good knowledge of boats, he stays freshly in tune with the markets and what is available. His shared info can be very helpful.
Yes he should be Mustang the Grady Hunter.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Agreed. I saw that for sale some time back and was going to post it on here, but between the price and the 2 strokes I figured not many would be interested.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Nah, you're good. Maybe the price will come down a bit and make this worthwhile for someone to take seriously as a 1998 with twin two strokes seems a bit overpriced at $45k US. Just my opinion, of course.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Old 2 strokes for almost $60k crazy buy the same boat in the us for 45k canadian
I agree, especially with it being a 1998 and having older twin 2 strokes on it. I bought my 2004 GW 228 Seafarer last October for $26.5k on the east coast, and I know that it's not the exact same boat but I couldn't imagine spending another $20k on a boat that's 6 years older and with 2 stroke motors on it.