WTB Grady 228 Seafarer

Reaction score
Looking for a well maintained 2012 or older 228 Seafarer with hardtop & 4s Yamaha. Trailer ideal, but not a deal breaker. On the west coast but will travel for the right boat. Serious buyer with a 2000 180 that will be for sale once I find the right 228.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It's pretty slim pickings right now, with the exception of this boat on Boat Trader, although one of the other members of the forum looked at it in person with a surveyor and walked away from it. Said there was a crack/chip missing near the front bow pulpit as well as water intrusion/higher than normal moisture levels in that area. He also said the rest of the boat was pretty rough as well with water line hoses that were falling apart and so forth. The boat looks great in the pictures, but as well all know the pictures can, and oftentimes are, very deceiving. I live just north of you and have a beach cabin on Whidbey Island, of which there's only a few weeks left of salmon fishing in area 10 anyway. So, I'd remain patient and look on the big 3 boat sales websites daily... BT, Yacht World and Boats.com, as well as OfferUp, Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist. It took me just over a year to find my boat, of which I ended up flying out to Maryland, looked at mine and then bought it, rented a U-Haul truck and drove it back 3,009 miles across country to just north of Seattle where I live. I bought my boat back east because as I'm sure you know, the Seattle area is very expensive and all of the homes, cars, boats, RV's and so forth seem to be much higher priced here than elsewhere throughout the country. One 228 Seafarer just sold on CL a couple weeks back, it was a 2005 that had radar and a kicker motor, which mine don't have but it had the same motor, similar trailer and electronics. It was listed for $65k and had a "deleted by original poster" message when I clicked on it a few weeks ago, meaning that it sold. While I don't know the exact price that it sold for, if the asking price was $65k then I doubt it sold for less than $60k. Comparatively, I bought my boat, motor and trailer for $26.5k and probably spent around $3.5k-$4k to get her back out here to Seattle, so great deals for less than half the price can oftentimes be found on the east coast or elsewhere throughout the country. With Fall/Winter being in the near future, I think the prices of used boats will drop down a bit and you'll hopefully see some better deals out there. As always, I recommend having the boat inspected by a competent marine surveyor as well as having the outboard motor looked over for the possible dry exhaust corrosion issues that early 2000's Yamaha 4 stroke motors are known to have. Good luck, if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
One just popped up here in vancouver, canada
I could be convinced to sell mine, its a 1997. But the one above is a pretty good deal around here if it is all is is said to be.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
One just popped up here in vancouver, canada
I could be convinced to sell mine, its a 1997. But the one above is a pretty good deal around here if it is all is is said to be.
I wonder if that's Canadian or US dollars? I'm assuming it's USD as $49.5k CAD would only be $36k USD, and that would be a very good deal, especially for this area.

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I wonder if that's Canadian or US dollars? I'm assuming it's USD as $49.5k CAD would only be $36k USD, and that would be a very good deal, especially for this area.
More than Likely a Canadian price...it's a steal at the price.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

benny13

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just bought a 98 with 400 hrs. Never put in a slip was always garage stored in a heated garage. I paid 33k. I was hesitant at that price because I feel like prices are going to plummet with the economic issues on the horizon and it has a 225 ficht which I wasn’t pumped about. I ended up not being able to pass it up and have loved it. I’m thinking about repowering with a larger bracket and a Yamaha 300hp with helm master ex. At some point I’ll probably upsize to a larger Grady but I can say it has been the best purchase I have made (ive made a lot of stupid ones)

Attachments

• F2C3DBCF-6DAF-4D3B-B3B5-73A200E354A9.jpeg
    F2C3DBCF-6DAF-4D3B-B3B5-73A200E354A9.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 32
  • 3F40230C-1817-401F-9D13-2FAF4BBEED62.jpeg
    3F40230C-1817-401F-9D13-2FAF4BBEED62.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 32

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just bought a 98 with 400 hrs. Never put in a slip was always garage stored in a heated garage. I paid 33k. I was hesitant at that price because I feel like prices are going to plummet with the economic issues on the horizon and it has a 225 ficht which I wasn’t pumped about. I ended up not being able to pass it up and have loved it. I’m thinking about repowering with a larger bracket and a Yamaha 300hp with helm master ex. At some point I’ll probably upsize to a larger Grady but I can say it has been the best purchase I have made (ive made a lot of stupid ones)
Good looking boat, congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum!

Reactions: benny13

benny13

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Good looking boat, congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum!
Thank you, I didn’t really understand the depth of addiction to these boats prior to owning one. Got really lucky with it I think, I still don’t really understanding the pricing in today’s used boat market but given that it was a single own and has never seen anything other than freshwater on Lake Superior and Lake Michigan I feel like I did ok.

wavetamer

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Looking for a well maintained 2012 or older 228 Seafarer with hardtop & 4s Yamaha. Trailer ideal, but not a deal breaker. On the west coast but will travel for the right boat. Serious buyer with a 2000 180 that will be for sale once I find the right 228.
I have a 2006 228 low hour yamaha 250 and 9.9 high thrust , hard top , boat is mint that i maybe interested into selling

Reactions: JJMag

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Not mine; no affiliation.

No idea if it's a good price or not.

rcrge

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
i have 2006 seafarer 228 g has hardtop loadrite trailer all the bells and whistle simrad halo + radar simrad goxse12 display garmin 742 2019 Honda bfp15 kicker and a veery sweet 2021 Yamaha F225 with 80 hours, i am looking to put it on the market January , tuna fishing in the gulf of Mexico in January gonna ask ball park 90K