WTB GradyWhite 290 Cheasapeake-

seknowlton

Reaction score
Looking to upgrade to a walkaround/express model and actively looking- If anyone thinking of selling please PM me. Thank you-Scott

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Hi,

Baert Marine in MIddleton, MA has two as brokerage listings.

seknowlton

Reaction score
Thabnk you
Hi,

Baert Marine in MIddleton, MA has two as brokerage listings.

Thank you for response-Yep, been watching those and they have been on market for long time- Price point high end in this market based on bucvalupro , likely why they haven't moved. I am concerned about the Yamaha 350's history of troubles-Hoping to find something off Boat trader/yachtworld and work with private buyer.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
yep

My suggestion would be to low ball them and repower. If the newer of the two is owned by who I think owns it (I heard something from someone a few times removed :) ), the seller is VERY motivated. I would use the F350s as a negotiating point and try to work a deal with broker/dealer on a repower.

seknowlton

Reaction score
yep

My suggestion would be to low ball them and repower. If the newer of the two is owned by who I think owns it (I heard something from someone a few times removed :) ), the seller is VERY motivated. I would use the F350s as a negotiating point and try to work a deal with broker/dealer on a repower.
Gotcha, I got the cash for sure but wondering how long to wait as market will continue to tank- boat loan costs are up and our local grady dealer recently had 5 cancellations- wow

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
For sure....

Personally, I think it will continue to decline, but the question is how long to wait as an individual. I am happy to not be in the market.

I also think that good, clean, fairly priced boats are going to sell relatively quickly, because I believe there are many buyers who have been waiting on the sidelines.

I heard my local Grady (Baert Marine) dealer is taking orders for 2024 models.

seknowlton

Reaction score
For sure....

Personally, I think it will continue to decline, but the question is how long to wait as an individual. I am happy to not be in the market.

I also think that good, clean, fairly priced boats are going to sell relatively quickly, because I believe there are many buyers who have been waiting on the sidelines.

I heard my local Grady (Baert Marine) dealer is taking orders for 2024 models.
I agree good insight from someone who's been on sidelines for a year lol

Fishtales

Reaction score
Try to work the dealer for the repower and access to engines. They may be able to assist getting them faster than you can. Most dealers look to take 10% of the sale price as a commission, so they are motivated to move a boat or two. Good luck.

Reactions: JJF

seknowlton

Reaction score
Try to work the dealer for the repower and access to engines. They may be able to assist getting them faster than you can. Most dealers look to take 10% of the sale price as a commission, so they are motivated to move a boat or two. Good luck.
ok thank you- checking out a 2008 305 with 250's so maybe avoid the 350,s alltogether

ttles714

Reaction score
just curious....why a 290 and not a 300 Marlin??

seknowlton

Reaction score
just curious....why a 290 and not a 300 Marlin??
I've been back and forth trying to figure out the best setup for my family between the 305 express, Marlin, 290 Chesapeake, and even sea trialed a Gulfstream. I was a little concerned about the size/weight should I need to pull the boat for cleaning etc. The 290 is 800lbs lighter, but the marlin is a much larger craft. I really liked the 305 and center helm setup, which would likely consume most of my slip space but is doable -My kids are 9/12 so most of the fishing will be within 20 miles, but I also need some creature comforts to get out of the sun and for the wife. Basically, I have an empty slip, waiting to be filled til I make up my mind. If I find the right boat, I would consider any of those models. Regardless of what some people are saying The boat market is slowly dying- so watching and waiting daily to jump on something-

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Hi,

FWIW... one of my dock neighbors has a 27 Freedom and another has a 305 Freedom. I can tell you that they both love the DC layout. It is very family friendly. The 305 folks don't fish. The 27 folks have small children, so the fishing is minimal. A prior dock neighbor has a 25 DC. They have a bunch of kids and they really love the boat.

I really like my 306 CC. BUT!!,, if fishing and being able to handle the boat alone weren't such important factors, then the 305 express would be awesome. Ditto if I had kids...

seknowlton

Reaction score
Hi,

FWIW... one of my dock neighbors has a 27 Freedom and another has a 305 Freedom. I can tell you that they both love the DC layout. It is very family friendly. The 305 folks don't fish. The 27 folks have small children, so the fishing is minimal. A prior dock neighbor has a 25 DC. They have a bunch of kids and they really love the boat.

I really like my 306 CC. BUT!!,, if fishing and being able to handle the boat alone weren't such important factors, then the 305 express would be awesome. Ditto if I had kids...
Do you think the 305 with bow thruster would be too much to handle solo?

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
I don't think the 30' DC would be too much, because the bow is easily accessed, which is great when docking and anchoring.

For the 30' express, I personally wouldn't be comfortable docking it alone, because of how my slip is at the marina. I normally go stern in with the finger on the port side; bow pointing West. The prevailing southerly wind, when >15 knots, blows me into the boat that shares the berth. Although the bow thruster works really well, very often the wind in the late afternoon is just too much for me. It could certainly just be me. If/when I have certain guys on board, it's much less of an issue. If it's me and the GF or inexperienced boaters, it's a whole different animal. Again, it could just be me. It also doesn't help that my dock neighbor's boat has a large pulpit with a big ole' anchor sticking out of it (lol).

For the 2023 season, I am going to setup dock lines for both bow in (white/gold lines) and stern in (black lines) docking, which worked well for my prior boat in a different (very difficult) slip.

seknowlton

Reaction score
I don't think the 30' DC would be too much, because the bow is easily accessed, which is great when docking and anchoring.

For the 30' express, I personally wouldn't be comfortable docking it alone, because of how my slip is at the marina. I normally go stern in with the finger on the port side; bow pointing West. The prevailing southerly wind, when >15 knots, blows me into the boat that shares the berth. Although the bow thruster works really well, very often the wind in the late afternoon is just too much for me. It could certainly just be me. If/when I have certain guys on board, it's much less of an issue. If it's me and the GF or inexperienced boaters, it's a whole different animal. Again, it could just be me. It also doesn't help that my dock neighbor's boat has a large pulpit with a big ole' anchor sticking out of it (lol).

For the 2023 season, I am going to setup dock lines for both bow in (white/gold lines) and stern in (black lines) docking, which worked well for my prior boat in a different (very difficult) slip.
Ok gotcha, appreciate feedback

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
..and another thing.. ;)

I watch the weather very closely and if I think it's going to be a docking sh!t show, then I likely won't go out in the first place.

For this very reason, I am likely going to do more early morning trips (back by 2 PM) or late afternoon/evening trips, so I am not trying to dock between 3 PM and 6 PM, when the afternoon wind tends to be at its worst.

seknowlton

Reaction score
..and another thing.. ;)

I watch the weather very closely and if I think it's going to be a docking sh!t show, then I likely won't go out in the first place.

For this very reason, I am likely going to do more early morning trips (back by 2 PM) or late afternoon/evening trips, so I am not trying to dock between 3 PM and 6 PM, when the afternoon wind tends to be at its worst.
Good advice !!

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Do you think the 305 with bow thruster would be too much to handle solo?
No Sweat !! A bow thruster should make you look like a pro !!

Quick story though ... we were fueling up one afternoon at the dock when some guys came in with a brand new triple outboard Whaler with bow thruster. He was all over the place trying to lay it against the fuel dock (not a slip) he had one motor out of commission but still had 2 motors and a thruster when he yelled out for someone to throw him a line because he had a motor down. WTF you gotta be kidding me. Moral of the story is get some practice in beforehand and be able to handle the situation without the thruster. The addition of the thruster will be a great asset when the wind gets up but you should be confident enough to dock the boat without using it by yourself.

Reactions: magicalbill

seknowlton

Reaction score
No Sweat !! A bow thruster should make you look like a pro !!

Quick story though ... we were fueling up one afternoon at the dock when some guys came in with a brand new triple outboard Whaler with bow thruster. He was all over the place trying to lay it against the fuel dock (not a slip) he had one motor out of commission but still had 2 motors and a thruster when he yelled out for someone to throw him a line because he had a motor down. WTF you gotta be kidding me. Moral of the story is get some practice in beforehand and be able to handle the situation without the thruster. The addition of the thruster will be a great asset when the wind gets up but you should be confident enough to dock the boat without using it by yourself.
Funny story lol Hanns for sharing lol