WTB Hatches for Adventure 208

JCReynoldsIV

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Anyone know of any Adventure 208’s that are currently being stripped or salvaged? I’m looking to replace these four hatches on my 1995. Repair costs are outrageous.

Attachments

• IMG_4191.jpeg
    IMG_4191.jpeg
    833.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4197.jpeg
    IMG_4197.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 24

D.D.

Reaction score
Did you try any auto body shops???? My brother in law use to own a body shop and would repair hatches as well. They looked better than new when he was done.

JCReynoldsIV

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I never thought of using auto body shops. I was quoted $3,000 to repair all four from a marine fiberglass shop out of Ocean City, MD. No way I’m paying that much.

D.D.

Reaction score
From the look of the pics, you have some serious re-construction needs. What happened to the hatches that they were so abused? I enlarged the hatches in the rear pics, and they may need total reconstruction. Good luck with your search.

JCReynoldsIV

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
That’s a good question. I was out of the country for 12 months and came back to the hatches literally falling apart. I even had it wrapped. I’m not sure if the mixture of cold/heat had anything to do with it but they fell apart in 12 months and I’ve had the boat for several years with no issues.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'm guessing wet core and edges in cold weather. Could have been wet for some time and the right conditions occur. The underside of the hardtops and hatch covers use GWs RTM (Resin Transfer Mold) process. To get the corners and under edge lip smooth, they use fairing compound (aka bondo). No joke. Was stunned when I saw that one. Also saw it on the transoms while touring the factory. Nuts if you ask me.....

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I posted this for someone looking for a hardtop but it applies to your hatches too.

A old hardtop may not be bargain. My hardtop had to be totally refinished last year. 25 years old. I did it myself but if I had to pay someone it would have been cheaper to have a new one built.
Gel Chips.jpeg Gel fail.jpeg Hardtop top 1.jpeg Hardtop top 2.jpeg

All my hatches have problems. They are on the refinish list this summer. It's not likely what you find will not need refinishing.

The gelcoat gets water underneath and pops it off. The GW substrate is a difficult to bond to material. I sanded mine down, epoxy primed it and used AwlFair epoxy fairing compound. It was then painted with AwlCraft 2000 epoxy paint. Non-skid was applied and additional AwlCraft coats. If there are deep cracks in the substrate they have to be ground out and epoxy repaired. It's a lot of labor and why repairs are likely more than building new. Epoxy repair will outlast polyester by a significant margin.

Last edited: