WTB: Marlin or 330 express:

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Looking for a Marlin, 305 Express, or a 330 Express. For a Marlin I'd really like to be newer than 2014 to try to avoid any of the potential transom issues, but for an express I'm willing to risk it to be a little older and still be able to afford it.

Am I crazy for being so concerned about the transom issues? I think I'm extra gun-shy because I thought I found the perfect one...but it is getting its transom done right now and I'm worried that I might be missing other issues.

The closer to the North East/Mid Atlantic the better.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
keep in mind the cost of a transom job relative to the boat cost. if you are spending $130k on a boat, with a good transom or $100k on a boat that needs it done for $12k, which way do you come out better in the end? if done right, the re-done transom will be perfect and 100% worry free.

Reactions: Barbender
Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
I guess my bigger concern is do the transom replacements mean there are other issues beyond the transom? Or does only the transom rot out? None of the sides?

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
you can very easily have a bad transom with the rest of the boat being fine. typically the issues with the transom were caused by water getting in the top of the transom where an aluminum plate is "caulked" in place and not maintained. this allows water to get under the aluminum plate and seep into the transom core.

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
It's a GW issue not just a specific boat line issue. Just watch it, seal it and if you notice bubbling, delamination, or separation where water can get in, just need to stay on top of it and seal them up. I'd take off the white ends every few years and seal and re-install. I finally bit the bullet and have the motors off and the transom glassed properly. Wasn't cheap, but I won't have issues with it. If I buy a new GW, the first thing I do before it even sees the water is get glassed properly. Just a bad design in my opinion.

Reactions: Stephnic

Time Bandit

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Looking for a Marlin, 305 Express, or a 330 Express. For a Marlin I'd really like to be newer than 2014 to try to avoid any of the potential transom issues, but for an express I'm willing to risk it to be a little older and still be able to afford it.

Am I crazy for being so concerned about the transom issues? I think I'm extra gun-shy because I thought I found the perfect one...but it is getting its transom done right now and I'm worried that I might be missing other issues.

I have a 2002 Grady 330 express Rich 845-772-1940 110,000. Naples,Fl. See ad.

Fishtales

Reaction score
The potential transom issues run up and down the line (Express, Walks, CC, and DC) unfortunately.

Time Bandit

Reaction score
Model
Express 330

I have a 330 express 2002. See ad under time bandit. Rich 845-772-1940

Fin-Allie

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
don't know if still looking but i have my boat for sale 33 express 04 with twin 300 yam new phaser gen and look it up south jersey yatch sales