Reaction score
Located in SoCal. Pls PM me what you got

Thx

Jay

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What's your definition of newer? What's your budget and how far are you looking to travel? This one I'm sure you've probably seen on BT before, but it's about the only one on the three main boat sales websites that fits in the criteria that you're looking for.

Bruinjay

Reaction score
Thank you! Yes I saw that boat, but I’m looking for one without bottom paint. 2018 is about as old as I’m wanting to go. All in budget is right around $125K delivered to SoCal.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I honestly think that you're either going to have to increase the age of the boat a bit and/or you're going to have to increase your budget. Most of those vintage of 228 Seafarer's are going to sell for over $125k, and those are going to be mostly on the east coast. Anything out here on the west coast is typically going to bring an even higher dollar value, which is why I bought my boat out in Maryland. On top of that, it's also going to cost probably at least $5k-$8k+ to get a boat from the east coast out to you in California. Furthermore, finding a boat without bottom paint on it is likely also going to be a challenge as most people seem to bottom paint their boats, and 228 Seafarer owners seem to hold onto their boats, and for good reason. The model was discontinued a few years back to where they are bringing a premium now, and those that do show up are typically going for considerably more than they're worth. Those few that are decent boats, in decent shape and for a decent price seem to be sold within a matter of hours up to a day or two at the most.

I would, and did, scour the internet and check every single day on Boat Trader, Yacht World, Boats.com, Craigslist and so forth. I don't think that this site gets very much traffic, especially in the for sale section, to where you likely aren't going to get as much interest on here as you would with the other sites I mentioned above. At the very least, I'd put a wanted ad on your local Craigslist in case there is anyone in your area that has a similar boat for sale. For me personally, it took just over a year to find my boat back east in Maryland and while I was slightly annoyed at the time with how long it took, I'm glad that I waited for the right one to come along. As always, I recommend that anyone looking at potentially buying a boat have it surveyed by a competent accredited marine surveyor before purchasing it to make sure that the boat is in the condition it's supposed to be in. I typically check for 228 Seafarer's, 232 Gulfstream's and a few other models every couple of days out of curiosity just to see what's being sold and for how much. If I do see anything, I'll post it on here, but as mentioned above, if you're serious about finding a boat then I'd be looking online every day and have all of your funds ready for when you do find the right one. Good luck!

Last edited: