WTB rocket launcher bar for hardtop

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My 228 came without the hardtop rod holders and before I have some made I thought I would check to see if someone is tripping over one in their garage. The ones I'm talking about mount on the aft edge of the factory hardtop. Thanks
John

Jzeno186

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
GW Performance welding (609) 569-9911. I got mine custom made from them on ebay. it was well priced super fast shipping and it looked like a factory rocket launcher!

Reactions: Kabitz60

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
GW Performance welding (609) 569-9911. I got mine custom made from them on ebay. it was well priced super fast shipping and it looked like a factory rocket launcher!
Thanks for that Jzeno. I will check them out. Was it anodized or bare aluminum?

Jzeno186

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream

Attachments

• 271964F3-49A2-4707-BE70-64E05CC4C716.jpeg
    271964F3-49A2-4707-BE70-64E05CC4C716.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
  • 2889109A-8790-49B8-8800-055E07AF6380.png
    2889109A-8790-49B8-8800-055E07AF6380.png
    343.8 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: Halfhitch

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've heard nothing but great things about GW Performance Welding and would likely go with something like Jzeno mentioned above if my boat didn't already come with the side mounted pole holders. Of which on a side note, I much prefer the ones that are on the sides a bit more than the ones that go on the top for ease of accessing them. I'm 6'2" tall and with the rocket launcher being up on the top, I'd think you'd have to stand on the seat or the gunwales just to access the fishing poles inside of them. The ones that I have on the side are nice in that you can stand level on the deck with firm footing and easily get them especially if the boat is moving or rocking side to side. I think the rocket launchers up top definitely look nice and make the boat more cool/aggressive looking but maybe not as practical for everyone to use. Here's a couple pictures of my setup...

Grady on the buoy.jpgGrady White Cockpit.jpeg

Last edited:

Jzeno186

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I've heard nothing but great things about GW Performance Welding and would likely go with something like Jzeno mentioned above if my boat didn't already come with the side mounted pole holders. Of which on a side note, I much prefer the ones that are on the sides a bit more than the ones that go on the top for ease of accessing them. I'm 6'2" tall and with the rocket launcher being up on the top, I'd think you'd have to stand on the seat or the gunwales just to access the fishing poles inside of them. The ones that I have on the side are nice in that you can stand level on the deck with firm footing and easily get them especially if the boat is moving or rocking side to side. I think the rocket launchers up top definitely look nice and make the boat more cool/aggressive looking but maybe not as practical for everyone to use. Here's a couple pictures of my setup...

View attachment 26674View attachment 26675
I had no issues accessing rods from these rocket launchers and it was a great way to get them out of the way. Highly recommend if you are short on rod space

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had no issues accessing rods from these rocket launchers and it was a great way to get them out of the way. Highly recommend if you are short on rod space
Did you have to do any shimming to get all the mounting plates to lay flat?

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I am 6-1, and I can reach rods in the rocket launcher, standing on the deck. Anything less than six, and you are giving up free space.
I think GW gives good directions on measuring the top, to avoid shims, plus they have put quite a few on Gradys. I wouldn’t go more than 15°, you don’t want them sticking back over the cockpit if you do much casting.

Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Imo, and again this is just my opinion, would be that unless the rocket launchers are flush mounted on the hardtop, or even hanging down a bit from them, then depending on how long the tubes are, it might be difficult to reach standing on the deck depending on your height and how long your arms are. I went out fishing yesterday, and am again 6’2” tall, of which I can comfortably put my hand and fingers on the top of the hardtop. Not sure how tall the tubes are but they look to be about 4-6” or so? Which for me personally would probably require me standing on my tippy toes? Not really a “tall order” but something to think about again depending on your height, length of your arms and so forth. If you’ve got them flush mounted to the hardtop or they’re hanging down a bit then it might be easier, but then if you’ve got a buddy or family member that’s 6’5” or taller, like I do, then they might smack their head on the backside of the tubes if they hang down too far from the hardtop. But it’s your boat and your money spent, if that’s what you want to do then by all means go for it. Here’s a picture of the above mentioned product installed on a boat, I’d consider some measuring to make sure you’ve got enough clearance. Again, just my opinion.

ED469137-6E87-4B1C-9E4C-723B69C3A814.jpeg

Last edited:

Tug

Reaction score
Gotta have the hardtop rod holders on any boat, I like them out of the way and yes looks much more stout. I do have to step on the seat to get full advantage of height (barely 5' 11") but would still prefer holders up top

Reactions: Halfhitch

Fishtales

Reaction score
Google marine pipe firms in your area. They will come down and measure. If you can be there so they can measure the drop to allow you easy reach. Prob your best solution for price (no shipping) as well as custom fit for you and the boat.

B-Shell

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
I live in FL and had the GE rocket launcher shipped in. No problem at. Great construction. Lined up. Used larger fender washers on both sides, 4200, and my locks topped with cap nuts. Looks factory.

Attachments

• 2F4DED2D-C7C6-4B4B-B208-7423C29C99ED.jpeg
    2F4DED2D-C7C6-4B4B-B208-7423C29C99ED.jpeg
    946.9 KB · Views: 21

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks B-shell, I was concerned about the fit because the factory hardtop has a bit of a crown to the edge where is bolted on. I guess GW Performance has considered that. If that is who you mean by "GE"??? I did check with one of the good fabricators near me here in SW Florida and they are $200-$300 more expensive and about 12 weeks behind in production, plus they need the boat. It looks like I will be ordering one from GW.

B-Shell

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
Sorry yes meant GW. Yes the cross bar has a crown in it. There are three mounting tabs. I bolted the center down first and then drilled and bolted the sides. There was maybe 3/4 gap on one side if I held the other side down. This was easily pulled down when tightened up. The curve and crown were very close to the factory top.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Perfect, Thanks a lot B-Shell. That eases my main concern. I think I will get one coming. I see you have one that holds 7 rods. I have a smaller boat so I think 6 is probably all I can fit.

John

B-Shell

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
I have the sunshade mounted under the top on my boat. So the rod holders have to be above this. I do have to stand on my tippy toes to get the rods out…I am 6’1.

Spinning rods are pretty easy but a 50w is a little harder. I had no choice given the sunshade but it’s not like you are accessing them all the time. It was a nice addition and I love getting the rods up out of the way.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Well, B-Shell, I ordered a set of those after you said how well things fit up, so when the Admiral sees the charges on our PayPal account, I'm gonna have to throw you under the bus. If you hadn't encouraged me I could have resisted the urge but you touting the usefulness of them was just too much......that's gonna be my story.:D

B-Shell

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
I’ll take all the blame! Tell her she has an uninstructed view now!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Halfhitch,,,, how many launchers did you go with? Definitely post up when you get it.

Jzeno186

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream

Check this company on eBay. My buddy ordered they were custom made, very nice and cheap!!!