Yahmaha Command link fuel gauge / sender wiring quesiton

Zumytunes

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Hello~ I have a 2000 Grady Gulfstream 232 with a main tank & aux tank with the command link fuel gauge.

Basically both vertical rows of black bars on the fuel gauge read the Aux tank only. I disconnected the pink & black wire on the Aux tank sender at the tank top & both rows go blank. When I disconnect the solid pink wire on the Main tank sensor nothing changes and it reads full. The Aux tank is full. Main tank is empty.
I was told the left vertical row of bars is Aux tank and the right vertical row of bars is the Main tank.

I checked the wiring behind the gauge at cant confirm all the connections are correct, also found this photo online in the attachment.

I need to dig into this more but does anyone have the correct wiring for these connections from the senders to the back of the gauge harness? I am going to check the grounds later today as well.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks Justin

Attachments

• PV262290.jpg
    PV262290.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 3
  • MTMzODEyMw-a5b22241.jpg
    MTMzODEyMw-a5b22241.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9498.jpg
    IMG_9498.jpg
    728 KB · Views: 3

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Hello~ I have a 2000 Grady Gulfstream 232 with a main tank & aux tank with the command link fuel gauge.

Basically both vertical rows of black bars on the fuel gauge read the Aux tank only. I disconnected the pink & black wire on the Aux tank sender at the tank top & both rows go blank. When I disconnect the solid pink wire on the Main tank sensor nothing changes and it reads full. The Aux tank is full. Main tank is empty.
I was told the left vertical row of bars is Aux tank and the right vertical row of bars is the Main tank.

I checked the wiring behind the gauge at cant confirm all the connections are correct, also found this photo online in the attachment.

I need to dig into this more but does anyone have the correct wiring for these connections from the senders to the back of the gauge harness? I am going to check the grounds later today as well.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks Justin
Since you're not positive if all the connections are correct, start with that. Ensure both pink wires are connected. Verify both of the connector's grounds are good (ohm from there to a known good ground). You can also run a wire from the gauge connector directly to the tank which will bypass all wiring in between. If that's good, then there's a bad connection somewhere in between or someone has been hacking... the curse of buying a pre-owned boat is the "previous owner" syndrome. You can ohm each pink wire (end to end and to ground) as well.

Zumytunes

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Great thanks for the reply, do you by chance have a wiring diagram so I can confirm all the connections are correct? I cant find anything online.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The plug-in part has to be correct - they can only go in one way. Do the colors match your pictures? In the end, it's really just the pink wires and grounds that you're looking for so you don't really need a wiring diagram. There's probably at least a wire color guide in your owner's manual, if not a schematic (can download from GW's site if you need to). But if you do the "checks" above, that will get you where you need to be.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Don’t have my manual with me right now but I seem to remember there may be some programming within the gauge itself that can determine which tank is which. I would get the manual for the gauge and enter the programming mode to make sure it is programmed correctly. On my 330 the main tank is the left bar and the aux tank is the right bar.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Oh, do this first... another thing to check - short the black to pink at the gauge. That should show full - when you disconnect, that should show E. It's buffered so it doesn't respond immediately. That will tell you immediately if the issue is at the gauge or somewhere upstream. If at the gauge, do as Bill mentioned.

Zumytunes

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I checked the wiring and someone got in there and hacked away.. So I ran some wires on deck back to each sending unit on each tank and connected them to the solid pink & the pink and black on the back of the fuel gauge & wallah is worked perfectly. The left row is the main tank which showed empty & the tank is empty. The right row showed full & the Aux tank is full...

Short of running new wires, pulling up the hatches, etc. I wanted to try and find the sending unit wires that are already ran from each tank's senders up to the dash but cant seem to find the pink & pink/black stripe wires up behind the dash anywhere.

It looks like a 14-2 connductor with a green ground was used, has anyone traced these factory tank sending unit wires up to the dash? Ready to go borrow my buddies tone generator! any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_9565.jpg
    IMG_9565.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9506.jpg
    IMG_9506.jpg
    383 KB · Views: 5