Yam 200 stuck in reverse

Reaction score
My 1990 yamaha 200 vapor locked and after i freed it up and got it running it is stuck in reverse. Any suggestions

Reaction score
This linkage came off and has been repairrd6but still stuck in reverse?

Attachments

• 20220528_140915.jpg
    20220528_140915.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23

seasick

Reaction score
Pull the cowling and look at shift linkage. First question is;" Can you move the helm control forward and backward?"
Does the shift cable center rod move fwd and aft?
Is the shift cable hold down locked, broken? If it is the sheath of the cable will move but not the core.

If those simple tests don't tell you what the issue is, you will need to disconnect the shift cable at the motor from the shift lever and manually shift the lower unit. If you cant, the next step is to drop the lower unit and inspect the shift shaft to see if it moves ( in the mid section)
If it does then you need to see if the shift shaft in the lower unit works. Note that for theses tests of manually shifting, you may need to manually rotate the prop for the gears to mesh.

Reactions: PointedRose

seasick

Reaction score
I didn't see your second post. You say that the linkage was disconnected and has been repaired but still stuck? Where is the cable? I don't see it.

FLWhaler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Check the cables is not broke. Mine was connected but when I put it in gear the linkage did not move.

Reactions: Father's Day
Reaction score
Everything worked until my lower unit locked up. When I broke the lower unit loose. My forward and reverse are working but backwards. I replaced lower unit with new and same problem. Everything appears to work and move under Cowell. Could it be at the helm shifter lever?