yama-lube vs other brands

against the wind

Reaction score
hi all, I know this is a age old question, and im hoping u guys can help me with this question.... Some boaters say only us yamlube others say they been using off brands for yrs with no problems. Does it really matter !! IM looking at 2 boats now to purchase, one always used yamlube , the other for the last 5 yrs used walmarts off brand with no problems. Is there any affect on the motor using a off brand oil... any info would be appriacated...

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I don't know if you are asking about 2-stroke or 4-stroke oil.

First of all, either Yamalube product is pretty good stuff. Both the 2-stroke and 4-stroke products contain a good dose of molybdenum trialkyldithiocarbamate (MoTDC) or a related moly carbamate, which is a very good extreme pressure lubricant and friction reducer. I don't know of any other brand of 2-stroke oil that contains moly. The only complaint that you hear about 2-stroke Yamalube is that it sometimes produces more engine deposits than other brands. That may be related to a more robust additive package.

To answer your question, any TCW-3 rated 2-stroke oil is fine for 2-stroke Yamahas. They all have passed an engine test series. In general, synthetic and synthetic blend based oils produce less smoke and fewer engine deposits than conventional oil based products such as Yamalube. There may be some benefit to using oils designed for direct injection engines in Yamaha HPDIs, but they were engineered for TCW-3 oils.

Any FC-W rated oil is fine for 4-stroke Yamahas. Many people use regular automotive oils, but most of these would not pass the FC-W test sequence. It is safer to use oils with a viscosity formulation and additive package designed for outboard. Diesel rated oils would likely pass most if not all of the FC-W tests. But that statement is based only on their viscosity and additive package information. I have never seen any test results to actually back this up.

seasick

Reaction score
If 2 stroke, the Penzoil XLF TWC-3 at Walmart works fine if you can find it

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Quicksilver is just fine. FC-W rated and has additives for four strokes. Just remember, your outboard is running at twice the RPMs of a car engine. Using the right oil is imperative.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've used Pennzoil XLF for years and have had great success. $17/gal at Walmart all day long.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Those are among the most reliable and rugged outboards ever made. They run fine with any TCW3 oil.