yamaha 175, older (1993)

fshlbi

Reaction score
I have posted a few tiimes regarding an older engine I have in regards to an oil leak. I think I have solved that problem by replacing many of the check valves (among many other more expensive fixes).

However, when I last started the engine, it ran like crap. It was missing and was hard to start. I took the plugs out and looked at the tips (I just replaced the plugs). Four out of the five plugs looked clean except for what appeared to be a little bit of a darker color on the tip of the plug (the end that goes over the top of the electrode. The bottom port cylinder, however, was completely clear and smelled like gas.

I know a little about engines (and am unfortunately learning a LOT with this one), so I am not sure if the odd one out is a problem or if the other five should be clear. My suspicion is that the mixed oil/gas combo is normal (five out the six) and the clear indicates a problem with oil getting to the cylinder. I am reluctant to run it more before I asked on here, as I know running without lubrication is the fastest way to kill an engine.

Let me know.

Ken

fshlbi

Reaction score
I said four out of five of the plugs. I meant five out of six.... sorry