Yamaha 2 strokes

imcnee

Reaction score
Can anyone give me opinions on a 1998 S200TXRW? Longevity, fuel consumption etc. Is this enough engine for a Tournament 225?
Thanks

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have something very close - the SX225 in TXRW. It is a great engine. OK, it has some drawbacks - it's noisy under power, it's somwhat thirsty, and sucks down alot of oil. My fuel economy improved alot when I went to a different prop. Routine maintenance is not too bad, she starts EASY. Just make sure you use the Yamaha "Ringfree" and a good grade of oil like Yamalube or Amsoil. I used both with fairly equal results. I bot it used, with about 100 hrs on the engine. Despite the fact that it must have been sitting alot and not running, I am very happy with it, would be very reluctant to go with a different manufacturer. It is also my second Yamaha engine. PM me if you have any more questions. Only parts I replaced were routine - T-stats, poppet valve, plugs, filters and water pump. It did run like s**t with the original Yami prop.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've got the same motor - albeit a 150.

Other than a carb problem which was a bear to repair, they are great engines. Thirsty, but they run strong and start right up every time.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a pair of 1996 TXRUs's (probably the same motor), they run well, a little thirsty but run like champs.

If the oil consumption is high, check the oil pump rod. It may be set for break-in mode.

derx2

Reaction score
I have a1996 Yamaha S150TXRV on a 20' Grady

great engine. I bought it (+ the boat) used in May 2009
Not sure how many hours it has, but since I got it, I ran it for a total of 900 miles this summer. I burned 450 gallons of gas + about 6 gallons of Yamalube total since I have owned it, so I'm getting right at 2 MPG with it.

Cant complain at all about the engine, and at WOT it really sings