Yamaha 200 2 Stroke

Tatt00z

Reaction score
Good afternoon friends. I have a 1990 Marlin with original Yamaha 200 outboards. Bought the boat Nov last year, and boat or motors haven't disappointed me yet, until today.I was trolling today, and a good friend wanted to fish, and he was about 5 miles south of me, so I pulled lines and headed toward him. Boat was running pretty much wide open for about 20 minutes, I picked him up, we went back out, opened her up, she ran for a bout 5 minutes, I started to back her down, and it sounded like I hit a stick or crab pot or some thing. I immediately killed the engines, tilted motors, couldn't see anything, both props spun freely, nothing looked out of the ordinary. When I started the motors back up , port was fine, Starboard was extremely loud, cut it off, waited til I limped back in, tried again and it starts to turn over for a millisecond, then stops. Sounds locked up. Now, any advice would be appreciated, about what it could be, about what price for new power head would cost, maybe a new set of take off. Thanks for any and all advice.Glen

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Hope the problem isn't as bad as it sounds. If you can get it to turn over I would run a compression check. Try to turn the motor by hand with the plug wires off and see if it moves in either direction. If not see if you can see any obvious major damage through the plug holes, even better if you have a scope. Worst case scenario I just saw a pair of twin 1999 OX66 225 outboards for $4k in the New England area today, I am sure there are deals like that elsewhere. I parted out a blown Yamaha for almost as much as I paid for the running one on my old Offshore. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but something to keep in the back of your mind.

Tatt00z

Reaction score
Thank you, I will check today and keep you posted.

Tatt00z

Reaction score
Went down this morning, pulled plugs couldn't see anything out of the ordinary, did not scope it. Could not turn by hand or by bumping the starter.
Marina will diagnose sometime this week, and he hypothetic quote of about 5 grand for powerhead. If that's the case, I'll be looking around for some take offs.
Ah the joys of boat ownership. lol

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Sorry to hear the grim news. The good thing is that running Yamaha OX66 takeoffs seem to run around 5-6k for a pair. Those for $4k was the cheapest I have seen. If you are mechanically incline at all it is not that bad of a job if you have the means of lifting the motors.

Good Luck!

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Where are you located ? There are used power heads out there....

Tatt00z

Reaction score
Marina mechanic confirmed what I suspected, powerhead fried, and went on to say brown plugs mean lack of oil. There was oil on top reservoir and just filled the tanks up a week ago, so unless the injector quit working I guess he could be right, alarm has always sounded when oil got low. Anyways I guess I'm in the market for a set of take offs.
He estimated the job around 6 grand. Any leads on motors would be appreciated, I'm in no hurry, boat can be pulled and blocked, and I can get started on my other projects I wanted to get done to boat. I'm located in Southern Md, close to Annapolis. Thanks and wish me luck.
Glen

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Quite a few pairs on THT for sale.

Graybeard

Reaction score
My eldest step son has my old Parker with a 1994 OX-66 and he just blew 2 cylinders on his powerhead. Mechanics blamed in on crappy fuel and worn out injectors. Replacement powerheads weren't available so he had to have his old one rebuilt

Tatt00z

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads Graybeard, any idea on the cost of the rebuild?