Yamaha 200 HPDI Problem

SwampGrizz

Reaction score
First off, let me say that this board has been a wealth of information. I began watching it when my wife and I got our 2001 Seafarer 228G last month. I appreciate all the knowledge, experience, and help that folks have shown here.

Here's the problem: Yesterday when I left the fishing drop, the motor cranked up just fine, but when I went to give it power, all I could get was about 1600 RPM under load. I took it out of gear, and it would spin up to 3000 RPM (I didn't want to over-spin it) and we limped home at about 6 MPH. When we got it up on the rack, I attached the hoses, and it cranked right up, and when I put it in gear, it spun up to about 3000 RPM again. It is a 2001 Yamaha HPDI, and when we got it, we took it to the local shop and had it serviced. When the guy put it on the computer, it had 186 hours on it. There were no warning alarms, the oil reservoir is full, and when I got the cover off, nothing was visually apparent, and I didn't smell anything burning. As we limped home at 1600 RPM, it was running smooth with no vibration or stuttering, but would not move past 1600 RPM. It idles very well, and cranks on the first turn.

The local guy who serviced it has an excellent reputation, and he's going to look at it next week. I thought I would throw this out there, and see if anybody had the same symptoms. Any help here is greatly appreciated in advance.

SwampGrizz
Savannah, Ga.

fastal

Reaction score
i have the same motors and had a very similar sounding issue last year with one of them. i had the vst tank serviced and problem was solved, I believe there was a blockage of some sort

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I will second the VST tank, but also check for fuel starvation, could be a clogged fuel filter, check also the primer bulb, if she gets squeezed and collapses, has to be changed.

Desperado

Reaction score
Service your VST and replace all the filters and strainers (3 under the cowl). I would also service the O2 sensor. That should clear the problem right up. 1600rpm is the "limp home" mode of operation for the HPDI. See the link below for the O2 service.

www.boatsetup.com/O2sensor.pdf

SwampGrizz

Reaction score
Many Thanks!

Using ya'lls suggestions, I did a lot of looking at VST/O2 sensor problems on other sites, and it sounds like a real good place to start. Some of them had the same symptoms I have. At least I will have an inkling about what the guy is talking about when he looks at it.

This board has been a real help. Thanks for the info.

SwampGrizz

RJTFD

Reaction score
Sounds like VST filters could be clogged . It doesn't take much also check out you low pressure fuel pumps while your at it. They should be changed every few hundred hours just as preventative maintanence not a big expense.
Good luck

Reaction score
Hey SwampGrizz - First off, I hope you got your boat running OK. How well does the 200HPDI push your 228? I am considering it for my 228G Tourney. Just thought I would check w/ someone who had it on there.

SwampGrizz

Reaction score
Living Overseas,

It does real well. I believe it was the original engine on the boat, and not counting the recent troubles, runs like a top. The local mechanic came out and put it on the computer, and determined that it was a fuel pump problem. He cleaned some filters, replaced plugs, and will service the O2 sensor this week. He also said that I should consider getting a smaller prop. The one that came on it when I bought it is a 19", and he says I need a 17" prop. He's looking around for one now.

My opinion is that it's a fine engine. It pushes me along as fast as I want to go, and it gets out of the hole OK. I'm hoping the hole shot will improve with the smaller prop. From what I've read on this forum and other forums out there, the 200 HPDI is one of Yamaha's better engines. I have read a lot about the 2 Stroke/4 Stroke debate, but when it comes time to repower (hopefully several years from now), I will probably put another 200 HPDI on it.

Hope this helps.

SwampGrizz

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. If you dont mind, let us know how the 17" prop affects your hole shot. I never dreamed my repower would be such a difficul decision and everything I read helps to clear it up for me.

Cheers,

kevin.