Yamaha 200 Saltwater Series

delongo

Reaction score
Hey everyone - I have a 19 foot tourney that is powered by a 200hp Yammy and just the other day i was out for a cruise and the spedometer started going nutty. I would be in neutral and the spedo would read like 6 or 8 mph. Then when i put it in gear it seams to lug a little bit when cruising at speeds under 10mph. I'm not sure what's going on or if i should even worry about it, but i'd like to have a speedo that works and if something is going on with the motor, i need to know that too. Anyone have any suggestions???? Thanks!

freddy063

Reaction score
Find where the speed tube is and clean it out, the speed works on water pressure pushing up the tube. Some times things get in the tube and screw it up.

den3221

Reaction score
I have a 1996 SSII Yamaha and had rough idling and 'nutty' tachometer readings.....plus it wouldn't go wide open.

Ended up being gummed carbs (ethanol fuel issue). Had to have the Carbs soaked to get out the gunk. Ran fine after that. Started being more diligent about fuel treatment and keeping tank topped off.

Hope this helps

delongo

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice! What sort of fuel treatment did you use? Typically when i winterize i use a fuel conditioner, are you talking about something else?

den3221

Reaction score
Yes, you should use Fuel Stabilizer each time you add gas. I have been using Startron Fuel Additive for this since the Ethanol issue first happened. Also, since then I have been using Yamaha Ring Free fuel additive (per Recommendations of Yamaha Mechanic). Ring Free is a Yamaha product, Startron can be bought at almost anywhere (West MArine, Napa, Bass Pro, etc.).

I have also added Sea Foam to try and clean the carbs

I am still having issues with my carbs again this summer....see post here

http://www.greatgrady.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10672

delongo

Reaction score
Thanks for that. My motor is a 1994 so i'm not really sure if the ethenol is the problem. I haven't heard that you need to add fuel stabilizer every time, but i will try it and see what's doing. The motor has always seemed to lug when running at low RPM's and i just attributed that to it being a large motor that is meant to run at higher RPM's. None the less, i'll try the stabilizer and report back. Thanks.