Yamaha 2004 4 stroke......Did I do something wrong?

Lanny

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Yamaha 4 stroke on my Grady which I just had to have the powerhead removed and have a sleeve put on the shaft and new seal installed because of an oil leak...$$$$$$. There is only 380 hours on the engine. It worked fine the last I used it in June of 2011. It sat for a year and when I put it in the water June of this year I noticed the leak the very first time out. The boat is store in a garage. The engine has been maintained according to Yamaha. Does anyone know what I may be able to do to prevent this in the future?

Lanny

seasick

Reaction score
Those oil leaks are common on the earlt 4 strokes. It is not something you did or didn't do. Was the oil pump replaced also? Often the mechanic will swap that while the powerhead is off.

Lanny

Reaction score
seasick said:
Those oil leaks are common on the earlt 4 strokes. It is not something you did or didn't do. Was the oil pump replaced also? Often the mechanic will swap that while the powerhead is off.

Thanks for the reply. Yes the oil pump was replaced at the time. I originally had service scheduled for water pump replacement, lower unit lube change and something they said Yamaha recommended, VST service because of using ethanol. But after I put in in the water the first time before they serviced it I saw an oil slick and added that to my list. Do you know if I can expect this to be an on going repair or was an improvement made with the repair.....such as a better seal design?

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Lanny, as seasick mentioned the seal failure along with exhaust manifold corrosion was a common problem on the earlier generation 4stk 6cyl mostly F225. Some have been lucky to get Yamaha to rebate some of the cost for the corrosion. Did your dealer mention any relief available from Yamaha? I believe there was a tech anouncement about the seal and I thought an upgraded seal was recommended by the factory. I think you have a warranty issue with your dealer, it should have lasted longer. There are pages of posts on THT forum about both these problems and what guys did.

cgmiller

Reaction score
You did not say what engine model you have. When I bought my Grady in the fall of 2010, the starboard engine was leaking oil and I had to have the oil pump replaced. The engine had about 900 hours on it at the time...the port engine is still fine and has 1000 hours on it now..

Lanny

Reaction score
Tucker said:
Lanny, as seasick mentioned the seal failure along with exhaust manifold corrosion was a common problem on the earlier generation 4stk 6cyl mostly F225. Some have been lucky to get Yamaha to rebate some of the cost for the corrosion. Did your dealer mention any relief available from Yamaha? I believe there was a tech anouncement about the seal and I thought an upgraded seal was recommended by the factory. I think you have a warranty issue with your dealer, it should have lasted longer. There are pages of posts on THT forum about both these problems and what guys did.

Thanks for the info. No, the dealer never mention anything about help from Yamaha. Before I posted to this forum I did some checking and various forums but was not able to find anything.....guess I didn't put the correct search info in....will try again. Would be nice if I could get Yamaha to cover part of it.