Yamaha 225 four strokes Need help

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have question? I am getting a whinning noise from the back top end of the motor at idle in neutral. As soon as I put in gear the whine stops. The engine runs fine but this whine just started after I had the water pumps and thermostats changed. I have only had the boat in the water in the past week. Before the water pumps were done I did notice at 2 different times a kind of sputtering from that motor. This happend only 2 times, once when i started for the first time on my driveway and the second when i first launched. I just ran the boat and that sputter did not happen. I am thinking alternator or possible fuel injector?

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have a noise at low idle that I could best describe as a squeaky pulley. It is sporadic and sometimes I dont hear it for weeks. I described it to my dealer last fall and he knew what it was right away.
he said it is a miinor fix and the best time to do it was when replacing the water pumps so I have it planned for this fall. I cant recall exactly what it was but i thought it was some type of bushing.

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yamaha

I could also say it sounds like a pully. Whats really interesting is that your mechanic said he would fix when doing your water pumps. I just had my pumps done and now i am hearing the noise. I wonder if it has anything to do with the water pump or housing? I really would hate to have to pull the boat again. My mechanic said he would take a look tomorrow but I am not to confident. He is a decent mechanic for simple stuff but I think I may need a Yamaha certified guy.

Thanks

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
Do a search of this site or try www.thehulltruth.com.
I remember this topic from the past. It was a bushing or rubber pulley adjustment. Not worth paying a mechanic or pulling the boat for.

It was more a aggravation than an issue as I recall.

kendcc

Reaction score
I have an F225 that had the very same issue. There's a bushing at the top of the shaft that drives the water pump that needs to be greased. Very simple and straightforward. Apparantly pretty common with Yamahas. If I recall correctly, Yamaha didn't think there was a problem running the motor until the bushing could be re-greased. BTW, changed my water pump, had the bushing greased and no longer has this belt/pully squeal.

kendcc

Reaction score
I should mention I did not do this work myself. I had my technician do it when replacing my water pump. if you're good with taking down the lower unit, there's no reason I don't think you can't apply this fix DIY, but I didn't want to leave the impression I did.

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yamaha

I understand, I dont plan on pulling anything myself. The pumps were just done so I hope my mechanic greased. There appears to be 2 fixes from what I saw on line. Grease the strut and or spray lube under the cowling. My mechanic is suppose to look at today and I will see what he says.