Yamaha 225 oil leak

Bumpye

Reaction score
Took my 2003 Gulfstream out for the first time this season since launching it at the marina a few weeks ago. I had noticed an oil/fuel? slick around my boat. Wasn't sure if it was from my boat or not. After returning from a run out on the ocean, I discovered oil coming out of what looks like a vent hole half way up the shaft. I noticed the oil leak only when tilting the engine up out of the water. The leak stopped but I need to get it to the shop for repairs. Any thoughts on what this could be. The exhaust stack was replaced before I bought the boat and the water pump, thermostat, and lower end seals were replaced last Fall during winterizing. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have the same issue on the same set-up. Engine runs fine with no sign of oil leaking until its tilted up. Oil runs out of rigging hose. Mine turned out to be my dip-stick wasn't completely seated. That oil filter is a messy job too.

Bumpye

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Harpoon. Unfortunately my problem is bigger. Turns out the oil pump failed. Nothing that $1400 can't fix! Didn't expect that kind of repair on a 325 hour motor but it is 13 years old. Purchased the boat late last summer so it may have sat for a while. The good news is it doesn't seem to be a common problem based on the lack of replies.

seasick

Reaction score
Bumpye said:
Thanks for the reply Harpoon. Unfortunately my problem is bigger. Turns out the oil pump failed. Nothing that $1400 can't fix! Didn't expect that kind of repair on a 325 hour motor but it is 13 years old. Purchased the boat late last summer so it may have sat for a while. The good news is it doesn't seem to be a common problem based on the lack of replies.
Oil pump seal failure is pretty common. It makes sense to replace the pump at the same time. While the motor is apart, you will also get a good look at the oil pan. Check for corrosion

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Oil pump is usually/always done when along with corrosion service. Or, "the exhaust stack was replaced before I bought the boat" never happened..... If the seller made that claim I would ask to see records.