Yamaha 250 SX TXRY Salt Scale & Calcium Buildup

vangrady

Reaction score
I was replacing the thermostats in my year '2000 250 SX TXRY that has 190 hours of running time in salt water. Inside the thermostat housing was a large amount of salt scale and calcium buildup. My questions are:
1) Is it advisable to scrape this out or will small particles plug up the passage?
2) Does running the engine dissolve any of the salt build up?
3) Does this indicate that the entire water jacket has the same amount of build up inside of it?
Thank you.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You might want to get some Salt Away and flush your engines according to the manufacturer's recommendations. I've never noticed a large buildup when I've changed my thermostats. The previous owner may have not properly flushed the engine to allow such a buildup.

seasick

Reaction score
vangrady said:
I was replacing the thermostats in my year '2000 250 SX TXRY that has 190 hours of running time in salt water. Inside the thermostat housing was a large amount of salt scale and calcium buildup. My questions are:
1) Is it advisable to scrape this out or will small particles plug up the passage?
Clean it out but watch for losse pieces.

2) Does running the engine dissolve any of the salt build up?
If running in salt water, no.
3) Does this indicate that the entire water jacket has the same amount of build up inside of it?
Most likely, yes to some extent.

Use the Salt Away flush. Flush the motor with fresh water after every run (motor off, use flush port). Running on muffs and fresh water may disolve some of the buildup but it wont reverse any corrosion.
Thank you.