yamaha 250's vs 350's

sharkbait

Reaction score
I am looking at a bimini 306 and have the option of the 250's or 350's. According the specs...the 250's would be a little more fuel efficient (especially at trolling speeds) and of course not as high a top speed as the 350's....but the 350's would run at lower rpm's for the same mph as the 250's...therefore less stress on the engines over time? 350's cost more than the 250's...and I am guessing cost more for services than the 250's....anyone have any experience with the 350's compared to the 250's? I'm sure the chicks would dig the 350's though..... :D 8)

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think you would be fine with the 250's. But if money is not an object and you often run in non-open waters I would strongly consider the 350's.

I just bought a 06 Marlin with F250's and took a ride on Easter Sunday with about 200 gallons of fuel and eleven passengers (yes eleven including kids and myself). This was in the bay that was pretty calm that day. The boat easily cruised at 30 knots and topped 39 knots at WOT with all that weight. I guess the total weight of boat, motors, gear, fuel and passengers was around 14,000 pounds. I was impressed with the numbers, so was the crew.

I, like most others never complain about having too much power. But for me the 350's would be overkill for 95% of my trips. I guess when I am fullly loaded with fuel, a crew of six large fisherman, 150lbs of ice, six flats of bait, chum, food, drinks, etc. and the seas get steep (like five or six feet) I would wish I had the 350's for running over the occasional six footer.

Being that your boat is a little lighter, I would think you will use less power than me at the same speed. Lastly, will the boat go slow enough on those nasty days that we are faced with once a year with those 350's (and those roughly 23" pitch props)? In other words with 23" props will the motors allow you to run at 18 or 20 knots in an attempt to get in safely. My guess with all that torque of sixteen cylinders and all those cubes the motors will do whatever you ask of them.

Just my thoughts.

viperdrum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you are in Richmond (like me) I hope you are dealing with Southeastern. I have a single 250 on a GW 225 and like it.

Southern Hunter

Reaction score
Grady

I was faced with the same decision when I ordered my 305 Express which is the same hull as your boat, 350's or 250's? I went with the 250's and I am very pleased....the boat has plenty of power!

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Sharkbait;
I have always put as much power as possible on my boats..I have a 232 Gulfstream with twin 200 Four-Strokes and love it.
The only thing that would make me head toward the 250's would be the "newness" and the "unproven aspect" of the 350's.
There is something to be said for buying a product that has been made for years and they have it down pat. When you make thousands of something over a period of years you tend to get it right.
Normally I say go with the max, but I'm not sure I would in this case, especially if the 250's provide adequate ooomph.