Yamaha 350 factory upgrade

prodiver

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Got a letter from Yamaha last week. They have developed a new flywheel and cooling water pressure sensor, and they will provide and install free.

Any others get this letter? Tashmoo??

Bill

Reaction score
Yamaha Letter

Got the same letter yesterday.

Reaching out to my dealer that stores my boat this weekend to to the install.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
There's been failures, the thread is over at THT.

Cracked a crankshaft on one motor reported - with photos.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That can get ugly! There isn't much to hold pieces back if something lets go.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in my reply, just got back from two weeks in Florida on a project. Someone had to do it!!

Yes, I received the letter as well today in my pile of mail.

There is a guy on this site last fall that had a crank go as well and he mentioned that the fly wheel was loose or out of balance. Yamaha fixed it by replacing the entire power head if I remember correctly and that was pretty much the end of it. They never gave an explanation. I will check with my dealer next week when the technical guys are in and report back anything that I hear.

I did talk to the GM of my dealership at the Boston show and asked specifically if Yamaha had any trouble with the engine or recalls that I should be aware of and he said so far no.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The THT thread also addressed the cooling water sensor the OP referred to.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm not trying to derail anything here .....but, When was the Boston show? I read about this problem at least 2 weeks ago on the net.
It amazes me that people in the industry (any industry) are often the last ones to know and are also the least likely to tell you if there is a problem.

The internet has really changed the way astute consumers: think, research, and act.

Just my 2 cents worth but from this side of the fence I am surprised how often the advice coming from industry "experts" is so way off.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That's why I always advocated using the auto industry as a model, where the right thing was forced upon them by legislation.

Keeping things quiet benefits the manufacturers, never the buyers or prospective buyers.

The good thing about Yamaha, they will make good. This is one of the few things I can count on in the marine industry (without legislation).

I wouldn't call the effort underway, an "upgrade" though. Hardly.