Yamaha 4stroke vs Mercury Verado

Zinger1972

Reaction score
I would love some objective input on these powerhouses as both vendors say they are the best!

Grady White = Yamaha
Boston Whaler, Pursuit = Verado

Is one superior to the other??

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Earlier verado's have a poor reputation for fuel efficiency, compared to similar HP motors.

Brunswicks purchase of many brands always seemed to me to be a way of ensuring they had mercury powered bats selling!

They purchased our biggest alloy fishing boat manufacturer and then insisted on equipping them with mercury product. Sales then went backwards until they relented and allowed other engine suppliers.

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
Zinger1972 said:
I would love some objective input on these powerhouses as both vendors say they are the best!

Grady White = Yamaha
Boston Whaler, Pursuit = Verado

Is one superior to the other??

Zinger I have said this before. All newer motors are very dependable. If and when you buy the boat you want look at the dealers in the area you will keep your boat. Ask the people around how they like the dealer they used. Dont buy mercs or yams or zuks or anything if the locals dont like the service or if the dealer is not within spitting distance. Your going to spend a good amount of cash on whatever you do just pick what makes the most sense.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
In light of the economic times, and since you seem to be considering new - it should be feasible to get your new boat delivered with no power - to be powered by you after, to your specs.

There is plenty of info over at THT about Verados, not here. Probably at Continuouswave.com too.

Grady has only been married to Mrs. Yamaha for more than a decade, don't see the relationship ever changing.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Maybe it's just a prejudice on my part, but I would not want a supercharger and related piping and controls on my outboard motor.

I would take a Suzuki over all of them, an E-tec second, and Yamaha third.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
CJBROWN said:
Maybe it's just a prejudice on my part, but I would not want a supercharger and related piping and controls on my outboard motor.

The only extra piping for a supercharger is if it's intercooled. There are extra seals to wear out and the salt air may speed up the process but if auto manufacturers warranty them for 36K miles or more they should last 5000 hours on an outboard. A negative may be that the Verados might need 89 or higher octane to reach rated power.

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
Grog said:
CJBROWN said:

The only extra piping for a supercharger is if it's intercooled. There are extra seals to wear out and the salt air may speed up the process but if auto manufacturers warranty them for 36K miles or more they should last 5000 hours on an outboard. A negative may be that the Verados might need 89 or higher octane to reach rated power.

Keep in mind the supercharger is not being used in a car when crusing along the highway. When your running a motor at 4000 rpm at load its running all the time and thats also alot of heat generated. I dont know what one is better but time will tell 8 years down the road.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You don't turn a supercharger off, if it doesn't spin air doesn't get into the engine. The stuff you see in moves like Mad Max is make-believe.

Fishon02

Reaction score
Pursuit installs Yamaha from the factory. Where did you see Verados on new Pursuits?

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The Yamaha 4 strokes are proven engines, the verados are still provong themselves. erc makes good products, but they are not known for longevty, yes some do get lucky and they last a long time, but notoriously hey last a bit less then a Yamaha will, but there are always acceptions to this deoending on maintenance and such as well as how the engines are used and also by model.

As far as the supercharger, I'm not sure how it will hold up ovr time, plus super chargers aren't cheap to replace, nd it will go over time so remember hat, it wn't run forever. Displacement has a big importance in engines, a bigger displacement means it has more balls typically to ge tthe boat running, adding a super to increase hp but not displacement trickys the situation but can be noticed on heavier boats, lighter boats will run faster due to the super in the end. Mercs are known for go fast CC's and guys with multiple engines, amaie's are for those who want a reliable long lasting investment. I've fished on both and love both, the Verado is impressive, but I wold not buy one, everyone I know who bout tem sold them already or hates them so far.. I have 6 friends with them. 2 Have had issues since day 1...the one guy bought a Triton CC with triples on i.....it sits on a trailer unused and he runs his other boat with a different make engine instead...Honda's.
Another big issue is who maintains your engines, you need to find a service center you trust and a mechanic you trust and make your regular who knows your boat, having one local is a plus and ths can often influence an engine brand.

As for pursuit with Verado's...haven't seen that unless they were dealer installed and he dealer is a merc dealer and does not want to sell yammie's so they can corner you on service. Typically those are dealers to stay away from, a factory installed engine is perfered.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
The supercharger in my mustang turns all of the time, as it is directly driven by the main belt -

It is interesting to note that Ford keeps full warrenty on these motors that are supercharged - provided that the boost pressure is not increased -

This tells me that boost pressure seems to be directly related to engine life - Maybe the boost on marine applications is low

Tim

LI Grady

Reaction score
Go with the normally aspirated motor and plumb it with a nice nitrous set up for when you need the extra speed to make weigh in :lol:

Yes I'm being a wise ass, sorry

gw204

Reaction score
If anything were possible, I would go with the Pursuit and outfit it with a pair of Optis.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I didn't know that about the MR2 supercharger. Every other blower runs off a belt drive (new ZR-1 and super coupe) as well as 6-71's. Having the gates to durn the blower on/off is a nightmare waiting to happen.

I tried to look find a Verado with the "hood" off but didn't find one yet.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
From what I have read I believe the super on the Verado turns at all speeds...which allows for its "quicker acceleration". The down side is if the boat is under powered, this is where you might not see as much of a gain as advertised. It is a neat idea tomake an engine lighter and produce high hp...but the weight savings is not a whol lot so it has to be proven to me that the extra cost of knoing someday the supercharger will need to be replaced/rebuilt/repaired, and won't be cheap and the longevity of the motor itself to consider one. I do not think they are bad engines, there is o "bad" engine anymore, theyare all decent, but one brand or model may suit someone better then another all depends how we spend our money and plan to enjoy it.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Forced induction motors can make great low end power so that actually fits the boating industry. Cars with factory blowers last over 50,000 miles. How many hours is that?

One bad thing I heard was Mercury rushed the Verado out the door. That does make sense from the complaints out there.