Yamaha 6Y8 Gauge Hour Meter

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I can't seem to find what I am looking for on the google.

My Yamaha gauges 6y8 are both functional yet I can't seem to get the hour meter to show on the port engine when the starboard ignition is in the ON position. If the starboard isn't ON then the port shows the hours without any issues.

Even when I cycle through the display when the starboard ignition is ON it will not show the hours.

Is this normal? How do I trouble shoot this.

Thanks
bb

seasick

Reaction score
Are you referring to the tach meter?
If you have the issue on the tach for one motor when the other motor is powered up, it could be that the motors are incorrectly programed as motor 1 and 2 although I might expect other incorrect readings in that case. The actual motor number is stored in the engine ECU and I am not sure but I don't think you can change that. If it was originally correct but you inadvertently did a total reset of the gauges, I think you need to visit a dealer to get the motor numbers programmed.

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Thanks for the reply. Yes, sorry I was referring to the TACHs

I believe the port TACH was replaced at some point as the backlighting is a different colour than the starboard tach. The tachs read the correct hours for the correct motor and both match the ECU hours as recorded on service.

Wasn't sure if it was a simple thing or not. Perhaps I should have the yamaha tech look at it when I bring the boat in for 100hr service this summer.

seasick

Reaction score
I think that is a good plan unless someone else has a suggestion.